[SOLVED] What best choice for domain name/ssl and why ?

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
sinok

[SOLVED] What best choice for domain name/ssl and why ?

Post by sinok »

Hi !

I am thinking about getting a domain name and ssl for my DietPi which is running Nextcloud. But I have some questions. From the softwares page on dietpi.com I can see about Certbot : 
"Requirements:
- A working Apache2 or Lighttpd webserver
- A URL/domain (eg: mysite.com). NoIp is recommended for a URL/domain that points to your device. Free NoIp accounts do not work with Letsencrypt, you must own a domain name and use NoIp Premium features
- Ports 80 and 443 (TCP) must be forwarded to your device, from your router."
And so my natural first question is why NoIP is recommended ? Why not GoDaddy or any other domain registrar ? Then what is exactly the "NoIP Premium features" ???

From the noip.com webpage I can find that regarding the term "premium" : https://www.noip.com/ssl-certificates where there is one called "Geotrust Premium" (sounds like bling bling it's premium 8-) !!) priced at 130$. Is that what the previously mentioned "...and use NoIp Premium features" is ??
Also from the NoIp website again I found "managed DNS Plus" which specify it supports SSL upgrades. Does it means if I want to go to ssl solution then I have to have this "Managed Plus" thing in addition to geotrust premium in addition to the domain name registration ?

Sorry it may be dumb questions but if I have already had a simple personal domain name in the past I never went into this type of details and it's the first time I use noip. So I am globally unsure of what I am looking to. Would greatly appreciate your point of view and help on that :)

P.S : 
I am assuming once I have the domain name with what it needs to support ssl it's just a matter of running "certbot" from Dietpi-software, typing the url and validating we want to use ssl on it. Right ? And then I am assuming I have nothing else "complicated" to do to make Nextcloud use the "https" right ?? :roll: yeah... I know... I assume a lot.
Last edited by sinok on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: What best choice for domain name/ssl and why ?

Post by Fourdee »

Ok, so you need 2 things (if you go for NoIp):
  • Domain name: doesn't matter if you purchase it from Godaddy or uk2 etc
  • NoIP Plus Managed DNS: This package allows you to use the domain name you purchased above, with NoIp

Once you have those setup, all you need to do is: Once thats setup, now you can run Cerbot/Letsencrypt to setup SSL.

I originally used this combo for the DietPi website a while back, which ran from a XU4 in my house.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
sinok

Re: [SOLVED] What best choice for domain name/ssl and why ?

Post by sinok »

Thanks a lot for the clear answer :-)