Zigbee2MQTT and Home Assistant

I’ve been searching for quite some time online and can’t find a concrete answer, so decided to open this thread.

TL;DR Is it possible to add Zigbee2MQTT to HA version installed from dietpi-software list?

I’ve been using HA and some other services on RPi 3B+ and so far this setup worked great. Recently, I decided to add Zigbee devices to my network and that’s when the problem starts. I added ZHA integration, and it recognized coordinator, but unfortunately, tuya switch I bought is recognized like some random stuff instead of switch, hence it can’t be used. There’s an opened github issue on zigpy repo for 4 months now, and it seems like it won’t be fixed soon, so I thought to switch to Zigbee2MQTT as the switch works there.

Installed HA version has no addons, so I checked is it possible to install it with HACS and came across this answer on their webiste, so I assume the answer is no?

If the only solution to add Zigbee2MQTT to HA is a regular HA “addon”, then yes, the answer is no. Addons can only be installed via Home Assistant OS/supervised.

HACS can be used to install themes, plugins, community integrations and such, see the list at the end of their homepage: https://hacs.xyz/

An overview of which HA variant supports what is also shown at the HA install docs: Installation - Home Assistant
DietPi has HA core implemented.

However, are you sure there is no Zigbee2MQTT “integration” available, not even via HACS as community integration?

EDIT: This guide reads like it can be done with the regular MQTT integration: Home Assistant | Zigbee2MQTT

1 Like

Thanks Micha!

Honestly, I tried checking the list, but I’m confused as it seems “generic” i.e. in case of plugins for example, once clicked, it redirects to Lovelace Plugins | HACS hence why I can’t find the answer on this question:

I’ve checked it, but have no idea where to start, as there’s overload of info. I’m confused are they referring to MQTT as a standalone service which needs to be running alongside HA and another services on DietPi and then “linked” in HA?

Yes. You can install Mosquitto via dietpi-software: Hardware Projects Software Options - DietPi.com Docs