Home assistant? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
kannz

Home assistant?

Post by kannz »

I see that home assistant is installable. Is there hardware to make use of zigbee devices or is this just for wifi stuff?
DarrenHill

Re: Home assistant?

Post by DarrenHill »

For zigbee, you need something like a Raspbee II or their Conbee II (similar thing, but USB rather than GPIO). The base Pi board can't communicate with Zigbee alone, but can of course do wifi stuff.

There are similar boards available out there from other suppliers, but I can vouch for the Conbee II as I run one with HASS-OS on a Pi4 (the Home Assistant under DietPi is a little limited and lacks the supervisor and plugins, although it is functional in itself for the core stuff).
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

the Home Assistant under DietPi is a little limited and lacks the supervisor and plugins
But this is a limitation of HA due to it's dependency and not of DietPi. Theoretically you could install Home Assistant Supervised on DietPi as well, but dependency are quite strickt and conflicting with some DietPi functions, like Network Manager. I did a test a year ago and it was working (somehow) viewtopic.php?p=29512#p29512
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
kannz

Post by kannz »

hmm would either of those usb zigbee devices work with the c2? also what conflict with network manager? if i cant get this working with a samba share and pihole running then owell.
DarrenHill

Post by DarrenHill »

The Conbee II details are here. It's more focussed on what Zigbee devices they work with than what platforms it runs on. It lists PCs/laptops as well as Intel NUCs and Pi's, but it might be worth contacting them directly to ask.

In my personal case I started with HA under DietPi, but wanted the full install so got a Pi4 and stuck it on that instead (using their SD card image). It did work ok under DietPi but with the aforementioned limitations. I didn't know at the time of the options Joulinar mentioned, but to be honest for the cost of a Pi4 it wasn't really a bank-breaker to spin things off anyway.

It also meant that there wasn't any issue for HA when I worked on or updated DietPi on its original Pi, as there was no issues to the service when upgrading or installing other stuff on DietPi.
kannz

Post by kannz »

what is a supervisor and what plugins aren't there? going to barrow a friends conbee2. said i could keep it if i could get it working. that didn't give a bunch of confidence. lol
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

network manager is an app to manage network connections, which is basically conflicting with DietPi configurations scrips as we use ifupdown. In practice it is working using network manager, but you need to be aware that you are loosing possibility to manage network settings via dietpi-config.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
kannz

Post by kannz »

Is that needed every boot to connect every time or is it just something that can be ignored like a ui? The whole time I've used dietpi I've only accidentally went into the network manager. Never needed to specifically use it for something.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

if you don't use it, it should be fine to have it ignored. Bust something to be aware of :)
kannz

Post by kannz »

Cool. Once my friend hands over the ZigBee USB device I'm going try to get it installed.