New install from image - won't boot. Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Hostilian

New install from image - won't boot.

Post by Hostilian »

Hi All

First up, thanks for this. Had previously it up and working but I think I ran into the update bug when installing some new software.
I was following the instructions to install SSH instead of Dropbear and it updated the kernel or something and - unbootable.

I've given up trying to fix it and am instead just going to install it from scratch.
I'm using an updated version of the VMware image that I used previously (Virtual machine on my Synology NAS). Dietpi_vmware-x86_64-Buster

However, it just doesn't want to boot.
Initramfs couldnt load padlock-aes.ko no such device.
Waiting for UUID etc.

Then ends in a Kernel panic.

Am I missing a step? Any thoughts please?

Edit..
I've tried using Virtualbox this time - and it's installing OK (so far). Think I tried it previously and had issues, so switched to VMware image.
No idea why VMWare image isn't working this time.

Out of interest, is there a step by step for fixing the update bug and non-working boot please?
Joulinar

Re: New install from image - won't boot.

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

many thanks for your message. Am I right you like to setup a VM on your Synology? If yes, pls use the VirtualBox *ova files to be imported into your Virtual Machine.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Hostilian

Post by Hostilian »

Yes, I've tried installing it using the Virtualbpx OVA file. That's what I'm looking at now.

On this new install. IP Address is pingable but I can't get to the web interface.

Not sure if Lighttpd is running but any commands I've found to start the thing don't seem to work.
Trying to change to the alternatives and back again don't prompt an install..

Defaults were chosen throughout the install. IP Address and mask is correct, so it looks like something is broken.

FYI, I get the same error about the missing packlock-aes.ko file, but it continues to the dietpi interface.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Hostilian on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

I'm lost a little bit on your comments.

If you have a plain/new installation, you are able to login using SSH. There is nothing else installed. Required software title would need to be installed after finishing first setup.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Hostilian

Post by Hostilian »

Whoops.. Ignore me! Brain fart; I missed a step! :)

I was using the console in the Virtual Machine, so that's all OK.

However, would like to get to the bottom of the original problem when updating and how to recover from the bug.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

not sure if this is fitting yours but there was/is an issue with the grub package (Debian Bug)

https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/3700

Would be good to know what was the exact error once your system was not booting. If you using Synology Virtual Machine Manager, you are able to connect to the system via web interface to check why its hanging during boot.
Hostilian

Post by Hostilian »

Yeah, was same bug that led me to wanting to reinstall.
Original error was
"symbol 'grub_calloc' not found"

After a reinstall, it's back up and running. Needless to say, I will be cloning it - even for (what I thought was a) relatively minor software upgrade.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

unfortunately such bugs is out of DietPi control as we don't maintain packages from official Debian repository. We just can try to find a workaround and inform our users. But good that you were able to fix it.