PiVPN issues routing to the local subnet - a Bug

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Joulinar

Re: PiVPN issues routing to the local subnet - a Bug

Post by Joulinar »

but you don't use any r/w protected file system or any overlay?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
dpsguard

Post by dpsguard »

Since I was desperate to make it work, I ended up downloading the beta 64 bit. I again wiped the card and imaged it with the 64 bit beta.

I did run into some issues in installing the Pi-VPN thru the DietPi-Software section. It will fail to fully install and thus terminate with error that iptables persistent could not be installed etc. So I separately installed iptables persistent and I still had the issues with not much reason.

Then I tried the curl script based method. Again it will fail. Then I did sudo su and then tried curl again. This time, it proceeded further but was complaining of things like grepcidr and expect. Then I installed these packages using apt. And then I tried DietPi-software and this time it found all these dependencies and it finally completed without further errors.

And VPN now works exactly the way it should and routing is no longer broken. So it does look like that there is some bug in the 32bit version. Plus 64 bit being beta also has issues in the Pi-VPn script.
dpsguard

Post by dpsguard »

And yes, no r/w protection was used. And I has not installed nothing else yet.

I will now proceed to install XRDP and then Pi-Hole. I need XRDP so that I can then login to launch a browser to get into ISP router.

On dhcp scope I have Pi-VPN IP as primary DNS and 1.1.1.1 as secondary DNS. I am hoping that if RPi were to ever fail, Guests browsers will first try to use Pi-hole for DNS and not hearing back, will proceed to use the 1.1.1.1.

Thanks for your great help and support.
dpsguard

Post by dpsguard »

XRDP works great from windows client computer to the Pi VPN server. My need though will be on the RPi Client devices, but I wanted to test. Speed test from the server (Pi) is about 120Mbps download, better than I had expected.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

for remote access, you could have used RealVNC. It's pre-license on a Raspberry Pi board and you could have connected your systems to a RealVNC account. This way, you could get access without any VPN solution. Maybe something to play with, if you are still on testing phase.

Anyway still strange your issue with the empty /etc/sysctl.conf. Is the fill already empty after initial setup? Or just after installation of PiVPN?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
dpsguard

Post by dpsguard »

I only noticed the files being empty after reboot, after I installed PiVPN server. For now, I dont have a spare one and will get one on Wednesday and I will test again with 32bit version.

RealVNC is not free, else I would have used that. They only allow 2 connections. It is very expensive for my needs. The whole project is a free project offering free WiFi at few locations.

Thanks again and stay well.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

If you use a Raspberry Pi board, RealVNC is pre-licensed and free for non-commercial use.

https://www.realvnc.com/en/raspberrypi/

Code: Select all

With VNC® Connect, you can establish direct and cloud connections, free for non-commercial use.