(resolved) Jessie - CurlFTPfs mount = emergency mode

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Jig

Re: Emergency mode on boot

Post by Jig »

Fourdee wrote:I'll join that IRC channel tomorrow as i'am off for the evening. This will also allow us to run some tests on your if needed.

I'am 99.9% certain that if you use a "tested and working" sd card, you wont be sent into emergency mode. What brand SD cards are you using? Sandisk never fail for me, yet, generic brands fail regularly.
I'm using a Sandisk, which has worked for me in the past with other distros (although I have not used it for months prior to this). Surprisingly, my two 8gb cards that are suddenly not working are Samsung cards, of which I have identical cards deployed and working. I'll let you know what happens with the default install on the Sandisk.
Jig

Post by Jig »

Attempting with the same SD card.

Install without any optimized/additional software worked fine.
Chose LAMP from the optimized section, rebooted without issue.
Chose ProFTP from optimized section, rebooted without issue.
Chose VNC from optimized section, chose not to change auto boot settings, rebooted without issue.
Dietpi-Config > Networking > FTP Client > install curl > FTP Client, setup server. Would not start up after reboot!

I've isolated the problem to curl!

Relevant issue: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=943146
It looks as if Comment 8 has a solution that could be applied to the install process.

I'll let you implement the mount-unit, but as a temporary "fix" for emergency mode, I made sure "nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=1" was appended to the appropriate lines in dietpi-set_curlftpfs, which unfortunately did not work for a fresh install. I added those options in my fstab post-install, though, and that worked.

EDIT: Yup, the issue is with mounting the ftp drive on boot. After adding nofail to my fstab, I was able to boot. I connected to VNC and confirmed that the ftp drive did not mount properly. I reconfigured FTP through dietpi-config on the VNC desktop, and it connected fine. I rebooted to see if it held (which lead to emergency mode, fixed by manually editing fstab), and I can now say with certainty that dietpi-set_curlftpfs is the culprit. I'll hold off on deploying the server so I can test a fresh install once you've taken a (f)stab at this. :P

EDIT2: I just changed the timeout option to 30 seconds, and it still wasn't connected to the server. I thought the issue was that it just needed time to authenticate and connect, but that was not the issue. There's something preventing it from correctly mounting at boot.

EDIT3: Pictsidhe had the same issue in his thread. I hadn't tried DietPI prior to this week, so I can't confirm, but if this issue is just popping up it's likely related to a recent change.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Hi Jig,

Excellent debugging in this issue, cant thank you enough!

As per my post: http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f ... p=541#p541 i'll run some tests and let you guys know what happens.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Curlftpfs does not support "nofail"

Code: Select all

root@dietpi:~# mount -a
fuse: unknown option `nofail'
Comment 8 and Comment 10 both work. I personally prefer using _netdev as the resolution. This seems to be the "correct" and working method across multiple distros (eg: Wheezy/Jessie/Ubuntu)

Resolution:
I've updated dietpi-set_curlftpfs and dietpi-set_smbclient to use _netdev /etc/fstab mount attributes when its created.

This will be available in v98. I'll also create a patch to update existing network mounts to add _netdev.

Thanks again Jig for your assistance debugging and research, made fixing this issue alot easier :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Jig

Re: Jessie - CurlFTPfs mount = emergency mode

Post by Jig »

Great! I'm glad you were able to figure it out. No problem; thank you for DietPi! It makes deployment extremely easy. Will you be doing an img release of v98? I'm more than willing to test out a fresh install.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Jig wrote:Great! I'm glad you were able to figure it out. No problem; thank you for DietPi! It makes deployment extremely easy. Will you be doing an img release of v98? I'm more than willing to test out a fresh install.
DietPi has an update system which does not require you to use a new image each update.

When v98 is released, you will be informed during login. You then simply run dietpi-update and your current system will be patched to v98.

For new image installations:
As DietPi automatically updates during 1st run setup, regardless of the image version you have used, it will always update to the latest version.

v98 Should be later today, just got a few things to finish off before committing to master branch (live)
Jig

Post by Jig »

Fourdee wrote: DietPi has an update system which does not require you to use a new image each update.

When v98 is released, you will be informed during login. You then simply run dietpi-update and your current system will be patched to v98.

Should be later today, just got a few things to finish off before committing to master branch (live)
Yes, I'm aware; I just wanted to test out setting it up like I had originally attempted. I'll just prepare my SD with v94 now, so it'll update before initial setup. Looking forward to the release, I'll keep an eye on Github.

EDIT: I see you fixed the keyboard setting issue too!