[Testers Wanted] Simple PIA VPN Gateway

Guides and tutorials for various stuff. Posted by DietPi users.
PDXUser

Re: [Testers Wanted] Simple PIA VPN Gateway

Post by PDXUser » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:56 am

Thank you for doing this. :)
It seems to work good and match what the IP should be.

As for use? Mostly to keep prying eyes out of what I do on the web so they can't sell my data to third parties (a.k.a. ISP).

db10

Post by db10 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:06 pm

martymoose wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:06 pm
is there any chance of incorporating nordvpn. or others?
cheers good work
Same! I've Been breaking myself for two days to get PureVPN working as a client... As for me, I'd like a 24-7 RPi2 Torrentbox, running OpenVPN, Deluge, Sonarr & Radarr. Would love to test this.

WarHawk

Post by WarHawk » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:32 am

Nice!!!!

luzifia

Post by luzifia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 pm

Ty for that.
I've had some days ago some problems with vpn and a special function.

have a look at that may you integrate in your solution the "port open function" for transmission and other program.
i have market the TCP Packs with a VPN User so that all communication from this user goes through the tunnel and the rest eg. PLEX and others can come out directly.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5701
@MichaIng
I will see if I can implement mine for testing into DietPi-NordVPN.
have a nice day

Neilj1983

Post by Neilj1983 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi,. Just installed on a fresh dietpi on a pi2. Worked fine,except I had to install pihole as a DNS server. Otherwise I had no DNS responses. I assume I did something wrong...but I have no idea what...

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:52 pm

@Neilj1983
Hmm which upstream DNS server uses Pi-hole then? The same should work for your system as well.

If you use DHCP for your network connection, then your router serves the DNS entry for the system. That should usually work, however in your case obviously not. If you choose static IP, you can set the DNS entry yourself. Usually using the router itself works best, as most serve as DNS resolver themselves and have a DNS cache as well, but if not, then 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) is a reliable solution, at least to test general system-wise DNS resolving.

time wget --spider https://dietpi.com can be used to test and compare speeds.

Galvinized83

Post by Galvinized83 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:47 am

I tried this last night & sadly (out of the box) from a fresh install it didn’t work. I did get it working though 👍.

With a fresh install the device it was installed on was working & getting its public IP from PIA, it just wasn’t able to route any traffic over the VPN.

I just made sure “sysctl -p” was run on startup & everything is working fine now. This I don’t think is a problem with this script as it does the same when setting up PiVPN/OpenVPN.

hknoisyboy

Post by hknoisyboy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:31 pm

db10 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:06 pm
martymoose wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:06 pm
is there any chance of incorporating nordvpn. or others?
cheers good work
Same! I've Been breaking myself for two days to get PureVPN working as a client... As for me, I'd like a 24-7 RPi2 Torrentbox, running OpenVPN, Deluge, Sonarr & Radarr. Would love to test this.
I suggest configuring it on the remote machine to accept ThinClient connections. In this manner, we can use the actual Deluge desktop client on another computer (be it a windows, Linux, or OS X box) to control the Raspberry Pi Deluge installation. You get all the benefits of the desktop client on your actual desktop, while the all the action happens on the remote box.