Low CPU frequency all the time Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
kar1kam1

Re: Low CPU frequency all the time

Post by kar1kam1 »

MichaIng wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:10 pm Try it like that:

Code: Select all

modprobe -rf acpi-cpufreq
same error
kar1kam1

Post by kar1kam1 »

Like I said, I'm using an old laptop and it's battery free. It seems that the low CPU frequency is a hardware limitation when the laptop can't charge the battery (my case). Maybe there is a software solution to solve this problem?
kar1kam1

Post by kar1kam1 »

I think I've found the cause. CPU frequency starts dropping when the temperature rises above 48 degrees, but the fan in the laptop begins to run only after 60 degrees. So I either need to get the fan running before the processor starts to heat up, or disable BD_Prochot.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Ah this makes sense. Does cpu also show a higher maximum frequency before it gets hot?
kar1kam1

Post by kar1kam1 »

MichaIng wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:54 pm Ah this makes sense. Does cpu also show a higher maximum frequency before it gets hot?
Yes. Until the processor temperature rises to 47 degrees Celsius, everything works as it should. When the temperature rises above 48, I literally watch the CPU frequency drop to 450.

Update:
pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
kar1kam1

Post by kar1kam1 »

MichaIng wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:54 pm Ah this makes sense. Does cpu also show a higher maximum frequency before it gets hot?
So, i tried to boot from ssd with win7 to update the bios, but accidently forgot to change boot order and booted from SD with DietPi. And guess what??? CPU frequency not dropping down any more. To check that is really true, i have installed old 80GB hdd and again booted on to DietPi, and CPU frequency was totally fine.
What was that, weird bug?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Murphy's law 8)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Lol, strange indeed. Great that it works now.