Support for Radxa Zero

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Dhry

Re: Support for Radxa Zero

Post by Dhry »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:18 pm could be our PREP script is purging important stuff needed Radxa Zero device as these things might not be expected. In this case it is not working than.
That's what it looks like. Well, it's very easy for me to revert to the default image, boot up and try again, so if there's anything I can contribute or test for you please feel free to reach out. These devices are absolutely sensational, extremely good value for money - this one cost me $21 and it's a full on quad core device, a/b/g/n/ac wifi, 4k/60 video, USB-C and literally the size of a Raspberry Pi 0 W. Mine's just 1Gb RAM though, but it still ran the Debian desktop like a dream. Would love to get DietPi on it to get the bloat dropped.

Note that it's from the same manufacturer as the RockPi devices. Do you think it's worth trying the setup again but marking it as one of those units?

Cheers
Dhry
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

something I could not answer. For this we definitely need developer support of @MichaIng
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Dhry

Post by Dhry »

Gave it a shot with the master branch, Buster, but this time chose the Rock Pi S as the starting device. Same thing happened - gets to removing the dbus package and freezes there.

Will wait for @MichaIng's advice.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

yes, dbus is something we don't use/need by default. Is it already freezing while purging the package or just on a reboot?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Dhry

Post by Dhry »

Joulinar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:42 pm yes, dbus is something we don't use/need by default. Is it already freezing while purging the package or just on a reboot?
The script immediately freezes after showing that this package was removed. I waited more than ten minutes. On the actual Zero output window all you can see is that every 60 seconds or so it is polling USB and finds my connected mouse. No other activity and it doesn't boot up at all if power cycled. It's in a previously attached screenshot.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

not sure why I did not found it before but there is exactly same topic on GitHub about image creation for Radxa Zero. It wasn't created it right? just a coincident?

https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/4831
Dhry

Post by Dhry »

Joulinar wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:48 pm not sure why I did not found it before but there is exactly same topic on GitHub about image creation for Radxa Zero. It wasn't created it right? just a coincident?
https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/4831
So that defect entry covers a lot of ground and didn't specifically say that the script processes through to dbus and then freezes. Also, the original poster never got back to MichaIng stating that they managed to get it to work properly, I don't think?

I'm not entirely sure whether there is something in there that I'm supposed to try myself in order to get things working? For example I did sed -i '/firmware-brcm80211/d' on the prep script and it still failed.

And, I've been using the master prep script - should I be using the beta instead?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

I guess they are using dev branch. But probably best would be if you could join GitHub. It's much easier to have all in one place.
Dhry

Post by Dhry »

Joulinar wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:33 am I guess they are using dev branch. But probably best would be if you could join GitHub. It's much easier to have all in one place.
Agreed. I'm already on Github and just posted on that entry.