Thanks and a problem Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
John Long

Thanks and a problem

Post by John Long »

Hi,

I just installed dietpi on a 4B, first time for the distro and first RPi.

This is great stuff!

Everything was intuitive, absolutely no problems until after a couple of reboots.

All my dietpi software is gone. No cpu, no dietpi-config, no dietpi-anything.

What could have happened and how do I fix this? apt search dietpi comes back with nothing.

Thanks,

John
Joulinar

Re: Thanks and a problem

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

dietpi is not an apt package you can install. It's a set of bash scripts located on /boot/dietpi

Can you check if it is still there?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
John Long

Post by John Long »

Thank you, yes.

I see I shot myself in the ass on this one by including unalias -a in my .bash_profile

Thanks for the help and the fast answer!

BTW, unset HISTFILE doesn't seem to stop .bash_history from being created although it works for me on my other Linux boxes. Is there a Debian-approved way to fix this?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

not sure if this is Debian specific but you could try running bellow command if you like to disable command history system wide

Code: Select all

echo 'set +o history' >> /etc/profile
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
John Long

Post by John Long »

Thanks, I'll try it asap. I read that caused that even temporary command history is unavailable in the shell, which is not what I wanted.

Maybe I needed to do history -c, after that it seems to behave as I saw elsewhere. Not sure why it was need on this distro though.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

at the end DietPi is not an own OS. We use a base image to have our shell scripts running on. And thinks like this are depending on the OS used. In case of Raspberry Pi it is Raspberry OS
John Long

Post by John Long »

I understand. And you guys did a fantastic job.