uninstalling Pihole Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
manilx

uninstalling Pihole

Post by manilx »

Hi

I tried to uninstall piHole from my pie4 having the following installed:

Code: Select all

[ ] 0    OpenSSH Client: Feature-rich SSH, SFTP and SCP client                                                    │
                             │    [ ] 3    MC: midnight commander, powerful file manager                                                            │
                             │    [ ] 5    ALSA: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture                                                                  │
                             │    [ ] 6    X.Org X Server: aka X11 - X Window System implementation                                                 │
                             │    [ ] 10   iftop: displays bandwidth usage information                                                              │
                             │    [ ] 11   IPTraf: interactive colorful ip lan monitor                                                              │
                             │    [ ] 17   Git: Clone and manage Git repositories locally                                                           │
                             │    [ ] 23   LXDE: ultra lightweight desktop                                                                          │
                             │    [ ] 28   TigerVNC Server: desktop for remote connection                                                           │
                             │    [ ] 65   Netdata: real-time performance monitoring                                                                │
                             │    [ ] 68   Remot3.it: (aka Weaved) access your device over the internet                                             │
                             │    [ ] 73   Fail2Ban: prevents brute-force attacks with ip ban                                                       │
                             │    [ ] 81   LLSP: Lighttpd | SQLite  | PHP                                                                           │
                             │    [ ] 84   Lighttpd: Extremely lightweight webserver                                                                │
                             │    [ ] 87   SQLite: Persistent single-file database system                                                           │
                             │    [ ] 89   PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor for dynamic web content                                                      │
                             │    [ ] 93   Pi-hole: block adverts for any device on your network                                                    │
                             │    [ ] 103  DietPi-RAMlog: minimal, optimised logging                                                                │
                             │    [ ] 105  OpenSSH Server: Feature-rich SSH server with SFTP and SCP support                                        │
                             │    [ ] 115  Webmin: web interface system management                                                                  │
                             │    [ ] 117  PiVPN: openvpn/wireguard server install & management tool                                                │
                             │    [ ] 182  Unbound: validating, recursive, caching DNS resolver
When I get to the stage of selecting packages to uninstall I don't know what I should uninstall/leave.
(I uninstalled what I thought was not needed incl whiptail and screwed my system. Even dietpi-backup couldn't run to restore my system, so I had to reinstall fresh on another pen and then do the dietpi-backup/restore from the old pen).

Having the above installed what is safe to uninstall of the additional packages the piHole uninstall presents?

THX in advance!
Joulinar

Re: uninstalling Pihole

Post by Joulinar »

Simply select PiHole on first stage and if not needed Unbound. During removal, don't select packages are offered by Pihole uninstaller. There are quite some mandatory packages that are needed for basic operation.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
manilx

Post by manilx »

OK, so I don't uninstall any of the offered packages to uninstall in addition the the main pihole one.

Thx.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Yes, don't accept any offer from the Pihole removal script. At least if you don't know what these packages are about.

On the other hand side, you have the DietPi software catalogue. There it depends which application you still like to run. If you give an overview of what is still needed, we could probably check dependencies and give a hint what might be obsolete.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
manilx

Post by manilx »

In my initial post I have included what dietpi software I have installed and intend to keep…
I just want to replace Pi-hole by Adguard.

This is what is offered:

[i] The following dependencies may have been added by the Pi-hole install:
    dhcpcd5 git iproute2 whiptail dnsutils cron curl iputils-ping lsof netcat psmisc sudo unzip wget idn2 sqlite3 libcap2-bin dns-root-data libcap2

Thx
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Just leave this all in place as already mentioned. These are core packages and removing them will break your system
manilx

Post by manilx »

Fine!
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

The following may be removed, but the others better not indeed:

G_AGP dhcpcd5 dnsutils
manilx

Post by manilx »

How do I remove them after I have uninstalled Pi-hole?

apt-get –-purge remove ...
I presume.
Thx
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

The code is the command. Copy%paste it to your console.

A more manual way, as it is about APT packages and it's good to learn how to manage them in general:

apt purge dhcpcd5 dnsutils
It will show you what will be done, also if other dependant packages are removed, and requires you to confirm. To remove then obsolete dependencies:

apt autopurge