error purging survey data Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
manilx

error purging survey data

Post by manilx »

Hi

I lately get this error, today while updating dietpi. It's nothing serious but I'd like to remove it.

[FAILED] DietPi-Survey | Purging survey data
- Command: curl -m 20 -sT 3709cbe9-41b6-436e-b393-d86a27a12a97.txt sftp://dietpi-survey:upload2dietpi@ssh.dietpi.com/survey/

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thx in advance
Joulinar

Re: error purging survey data

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

the system is trying to delete survey data you sent in past

Code: Select all

curl -m 20 -sT 3709cbe9-41b6-436e-b393-d86a27a12a97.txt sftp://dietpi-survey:upload2dietpi@ssh.dietpi.com/survey/
But it seems this data did not exist anymore.

@MichaIng
can you verify this pls
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
manilx

Post by manilx »

Where should I look for this?
I disables survey but I still get this.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

you are not able to verify this as survey data are located on DietPi web server. This can be done by the developer only.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
manilx

Post by manilx »

Joulinar wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:12 am you are not able to verify this as the data are located on DietPi web server. This can be done by the developer only.
Ah OK!!!!! Nothing I can do on my end then.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Yes because you disabled survey, the system is trying to purge old data sent in past. Give time to the developer to have a look.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

That should upload an empty file and overwrite any existing data by this. If it fails, no data is purged, but probably none was there anyway.

But I had a look and that data is still on the server, last change on March 12.

Can you run the command manually from console and check the error message:

# Create an empty file
> 3709cbe9-41b6-436e-b393-d86a27a12a97.txt
# Upload it
curl -m 20 -T 3709cbe9-41b6-436e-b393-d86a27a12a97.txt sftp://dietpi-survey:upload2dietpi@ssh.dietpi.com/survey/
But now, may I ask why you want to opt out?

This data is very valuable for us, as we can see
  • which DietPi versions users use, hence how long we must keep upgrade/migration code
  • which SBCs are used how often and which not at all (we just had such an case, zero users, hence only a waste of time to generate and maintain the related image)
  • which software titles we should prioritise or keep compatible when e.g. upstream changes or abandoned projects make it difficult
  • and of course the the benchmarks are interesting to compare own results against and get a rough idea about the performance of different SBCs.
  • All uploaded data is transparently seen in the script and public here as combined statistics: https://dietpi.com/survey/
We see a downwards trend in percentage of opted in users since the beginning, which decreases the value and statistical certainty of the data. E.g. even that we do not see any reported use of a specific SBC or software, with 86% of users not telling it, there might be still some. Especially the lower numbers might be very different. So I tried here and there do advertise dietpi-survey, but without any effect on the downwards trend. So I'm very interested in what exactly leads to the opt out decision and if we can e.g. change something about how, when or what is uploaded to act against it, e.g. raising users trust.

Best regards :).
manilx

Post by manilx »

Hi

Will do that once I get to the unit later today and report.
But I want to answer your question right away:
I have opted out *after* I received the error to try to fix it…

I have no problem opting in again. Actually I have all devices opted in (I’ll double check this also later )
manilx

Post by manilx »

Got this:

root@piHole:~# # Create an empty file
root@piHole:~# > 3709cbe9-41b6-436e-b393-d86a27a12a97.txt
root@piHole:~# # Upload it
root@piHole:~# curl -m 20 -T 3709cbe9-41b6-436e-b393-d86a27a12a97.txt sftp://dietpi-survey:upload2dietpi@ssh.dietpi.com/survey/
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (60) SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK
More details here: https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

curl failed to verify the legitimacy of the server and therefore could not
establish a secure connection to it. To learn more about this situation and
how to fix it, please visit the web page mentioned above.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

hmm I was using dietpi-survey to toggle between OPTED IN/OPTED OUT and it was working without issues. :?

root@DietPi3:~# dietpi-survey
[  OK  ] DietPi-Survey | Setting in /boot/dietpi.txt adjusted: SURVEY_OPTED_IN=1
[  OK  ] DietPi-Survey | Sending survey data
root@DietPi3:~#
root@DietPi3:~# dietpi-survey
[  OK  ] DietPi-Survey | Setting in /boot/dietpi.txt adjusted: SURVEY_OPTED_IN=0
[  OK  ] DietPi-Survey | Purging survey data