setting up Pi-Hole + PiVPN + read/write root access for adding youtube script Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
nebulousman

Re: setting up Pi-Hole + PiVPN + read/write root access for adding youtube script

Post by nebulousman »

I changed the name and ls -la /etc/cron.minutely/ outputs:
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 20 19:55 .
drwxr-xr-x 79 root root 4096 Feb 20 01:31 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 163 Jan 18 16:17 readme.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1436 Feb 20 19:55 youtubeupdate

/var/log/pihole.log and /etc/hosts.youtube are still not growing and are both 0 bytes

my log file shows:
CRON[23645]: (root) CMD (cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.minutely)
at the correct times

I still get youtube ads I'm not sure but I think they might be reduced. Script author does say some ads will get through. If I'm reading the log correctly it appears the script is running at intervals specified.

Thanks for the help & thanks for DietPi its great.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: setting up Pi-Hole + PiVPN + read/write root access for adding youtube script

Post by MichaIng »

/var/log/pihole.log is not used when installing Pi-hole through dietpi-software. You could enable that query log via pihole -l on but it mostly doubles with the separate query log that is anyway done to the database and what the log in the web UI is based on. I.e. you should be able to see blocked YouTube ads in the query log section of the web interface.

/etc/hosts.youtube would not have an effect when it's empty, would it? :?

... ah I had a look into the script and it parses /var/log/pihole.log indeed. Then you need to:
  1. Disable DietPi-RAMlog (if currently enabled): dietpi-software uninstall 103
  2. Reboot: reboot
  3. Enable Pi-hole file query logging: pihole -l on
Could be actually an enhancement to the script if it would query the SQLite database instead of the plain text log file.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

ahh indeed overlooked that it require the PiHole log file

@MichaIng
Well the script was updated last time 9 month ago. Not sure if it is still maintained :)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team