complete headless install with pi0? Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
ahoier

Re: complete headless install with pi0?

Post by ahoier »

could it be possible that dietpi just doesn't have a "driver" for my wifi USB dongle? I was actually shocked that it "worked" out of the box with Raspbian ;) since it's gotta be from like 2003 or so (when I got it..lol who knows it was manufactured lol)
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

well at the end it is still a Raspberry OS and usually thinks are working nearly the same. Unfortunately you don't have access and we are not able to check.

what you can do is following. Install normal Raspberry OS. Once installation is completed, we could check what interface is used. As well you could try to install DietPi on top of Raspberry OS using the PREP script
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
ahoier

Post by ahoier »

alright i may just give that a whirl then.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

As long as it's Zero and not Zero W, the interface will be wlan0. Bringing up that interface failed as wpa_supplicant failed, so the interface in fact was present (else wpa_supplicant wouldn't have been invoked), but credentials were wrong or wpa_supplicant failed for a different reason.

In dietpi.txt btw quotes btw must not be used, since it's content is parsed via sed/grep. In dietpi-wifi.txt quotes are required if you use special characters or spaces in SSID or password, since it is sourced, hence treated as it's content is "executed" in the shell. Use single quotes at best, since they won't expand $ as variables and such. The dietpi-wifi.txt template however shows that pretty fine.

I see it's a bid nasty if WiFi on RPi Zero failed, and a reboot (plug off, plug on) does not solve it, e.g. credentials are wrong, there is no way to redo it without accessing the ext4 root partition on an external system or attaching a keyboard, which is no possible as the on micro USB port is used for power supply and the other one by the WiFi adapter :?.

I was wondering that ChromeOS has no ext4 support, as it's Linux, but indeed they dropped it :lol:: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=315401
Crazy guys, no way I can even consider using this OS when the major (!) Linux file system is not supported, only because they want to be able to rename volume names via their GUI. Enough trouble on Windows with this.

Raspberry Pi OS has btw has the same WiFi drivers/firmware pre-installed, so this should not be a difference. AFAIK on Raspberry Pi OS you place a wpa_supplicant.conf into the FAT/boot partition to have WiFi preconfigured, right? If that works, while dietpi-wifi.txt doesn't, would be interesting how both final /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf differ. Special characters and hidden SSIDs are currently the two things I can think of which might be an issue.
ahoier

Post by ahoier »

im gonna revisit this since i got a couple days off...

My dietpi-wifi.txt looks like this

Code: Select all

#---------------------------------------------------------------
# Entry 0
# - WiFi SSID: required, case sensitive
aWIFI_SSID[0]='myWIFI'
# - WiFi key: If no key/open, leave this blank
aWIFI_KEY[0]='myPW'
# - Key type: NONE (no key/open) | WPA-PSK | WEP | WPA-EAP (then use settings below)
aWIFI_KEYMGR[0]='WPA-PSK'
# - WPA-EAP options: Only fill if WPA-EAP is set above
aWIFI_PROTO[0]=''
aWIFI_PAIRWISE[0]=''
aWIFI_AUTH_ALG[0]=''
aWIFI_EAP[0]=''
aWIFI_IDENTITY[0]=''
aWIFI_PASSWORD[0]=''
aWIFI_PHASE1[0]=''
aWIFI_PHASE2[0]=''
# - Path to the certificate file, e.g.: /boot/mycert.cer
aWIFI_CERT[0]=''
keeping the quotes there i assume, since they were present when i opened the file? But they only show single quotes and not double quotes " vs ' is that formatting correct?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

I removed WiFi SSID and password as it is not wise to share such privat information on a public board.

Basically the content is fine
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
ahoier

Post by ahoier »

i smudged it ;) It's not my real PW :)

seems Im "online" now, as confirmed by angry IP Scanner....but sshing into my pi at 192.168.0.12 is giving me the following "'error"
Loading NaCl plugin... done.
Connecting to root@192.168.0.12...
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:4<hash>0QrVFdo.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending ECDSA key in /.ssh/known_hosts:1
ECDSA host key for 192.168.0.12 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.
NaCl plugin exited with status code 255.
(R)econnect, (C)hoose another connection, or E(x)it?
Loading NaCl plugin... done.
Connecting to root@192.168.0.12...
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:41HRRY<expunged>rVFdo.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending ECDSA key in /.ssh/known_hosts:1
ECDSA host key for 192.168.0.12 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.
NaCl plugin exited with status code 255.
(R)econnect, (C)hoose another connection, or E(x)it?
any ideaas?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

This looks like a message from your SSH client. You client is complaining about a changed host key. Did you used this ip somewhere else in the past? Maybe you can clear the host key on the client side or use a different client
ahoier

Post by ahoier »

YEP that explains it...ahhah. My "previous" pihole install using the "Raspian" version (for my little old pi0 lol)....was using that IP Address, so I found in the SSH client settings to "remove" the old hash and it's connecting now and ONLINE.44

So all in all not totally sure what fixed the Wifi connection, but Im thinking the first time I attempted the "first boot" i omitted the single quotes with my SSID and PW.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

ok good it is working now. :)