"No Route to Host" / Can't get network connection

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Sir_Photch

"No Route to Host" / Can't get network connection

Post by Sir_Photch »

Hello everyone.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing some very strange behavior of my Raspberry Pi 4 with DietPi;
For some reason, it does not seem to be accessible via SSH anymore, every time I try to connect to my raspberry pi, I get the error "No route to host". When taking a look into the devices connected to my router, the DietPi shows up, however. Trying to ping it results in the same routing error.

I have not changed anything or installed anything prior to this issue, I noticed because my OwnCloud suddenly lost connection on every one of my devices.
After tinkering around with hard-restarting my raspi, I suddenly was able to connect to my raspi again (via ssh and owncloud) but shortly after it lost connection again after me trying to edit cronjobs via vim.

Since then nothing has changed. Do you guys have an idea how I should proceed debugging this?

EDIT: When disconnecting my Raspberry from power it for some reason stays in the list of connected devices of my router...
Joulinar

Re: "No Route to Host" / Can't get network connection

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

easiest would be if you would connect a screen and keyboard to check status on your device as soon as it is not reachable. Do you connect via eth0 or wlan0? As well you could switch to FULL log mode to be able check what happen before you reboot your system.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Sir_Photch

Post by Sir_Photch »

Well, then I have to buy a micro-hdmi adapter...
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

as said, you could switch to FULL log mode and try checking logs once rebooted, if they contain information about the hanging situation.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Sir_Photch

Post by Sir_Photch »

Where do I need to set the appropiate parameter? I can for sure pop out the micro-SD and have a look at log files.
trendy

Post by trendy »

Sir_Photch wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:49 pm EDIT: When disconnecting my Raspberry from power it for some reason stays in the list of connected devices of my router...
Most likely it is the dhcp lease, which won't detect a sudden disconnection of the device due to freeze or power cut.
Only if there is a graceful dhcp release it will vanish from the list.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Sir_Photch wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:35 pm Where do I need to set the appropiate parameter? I can for sure pop out the micro-SD and have a look at log files.
dietpi-software > Log System > Full

are you using WLAN or Ethernet?
Sir_Photch

Post by Sir_Photch »

Wifi only
trendy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:45 pm
Sir_Photch wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:49 pm EDIT: When disconnecting my Raspberry from power it for some reason stays in the list of connected devices of my router...
Most likely it is the dhcp lease, which won't detect a sudden disconnection of the device due to freeze or power cut.
Only if there is a graceful dhcp release it will vanish from the list.
so.. It will disapper after a while?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Wifi only
probably your device is loosing WiFI connection. You could try setting auto reconnect feature

dietpi-config > 7 : Network Options: Adapters > WiFi > Auto Reconnect : [On]
Sir_Photch

Post by Sir_Photch »

Thank you. I already ordered a micro-hdmi to hdmi cable and will get into it when it arrives. Until then :)