Fresh install with SSD - Only boots to emergency mode

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: Fresh install with SSD - Only boots to emergency mode

Post by MichaIng »

I just updated our images, probably a kernel update enhanced USB boot compatibility. Please re-download and flash the image.

Root partition and file system expansion btw succeeded, it's the boot partition (partition 1 with vfat file system) that times out for some reason.
Niall Kearney

Post by Niall Kearney »

I downloaded the image from the site, it has a modified date of the 18th of January. When I flash this one I get the same result as the second test. EXT4_fs error (device sda2) and then it won't respond to any inputs at all.

If I flash Raspberry Pi OS and follow the steps outlined here https://dietpi.com/docs/dietpi_sbc/#mak ... stribution I get the same result as above.

If I try an older image (11th of September) I get the original error, sits for awhile with no messages after partition resize and then says it's in emergency mode.

Imaging an SSD using my older Startech USB adaptor with the most recent image and it works, I get to a log in prompt, can log in and can all the way through the Dietpi-config install to a prompt. I can use that for the moment although it's USB2 speeds.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

hmm ok at least it's working. So challenge is to get the JMicron adapter working. Maybe there is specific package missing as it is working on plain Raspi OS??

@MichaIng
we had a couple of reports the last days regarding JMicron adapter. There is a sticky inside RPi board for the JMicron story. For some people a FW update of the adapter is working. For others, quirks did the trick. But this might be quite specific.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1&start=50
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

If it works replicable and reliably with Raspberry Pi OS, indeed there must be difference, but I have zero idea what this might be, since kernel, firmware and boot parameters are all the same, also config.txt does not contain anything related.

UAS, which is enabled on RPi 4 by default, indeed seems to cause a lot of issues with specific drives, but I'm not sure whether disabling UAS by default is a good idea either, especially when it's not disabled by default on Raspberry Pi OS. It enhances USB drive speed notably from what I read. To disable UAS for testing: echo 'blacklist uas' > /etc/modprobe.d/disable-uas.conf

@Niall Kearney do you have a chance to catch the output of the partition and file system expansion script? I know that Raspberry Pi OS does this in two stages, first expanding partition, then reboot, then expanding file system, or if boot into console works: cat /var/tmp/dietpi/logs/fs_partition_resize.log
Since you faced file system errors on the root partition as well (sda2), probably some drives don't like those two steps being made too short after another.
Niall Kearney

Post by Niall Kearney »

@Niall Kearney do you have a chance to catch the output of the partition and file system expansion script? I know that Raspberry Pi OS does this in two stages, first expanding partition, then reboot, then expanding file system, or if boot into console works: cat /var/tmp/dietpi/logs/fs_partition_resize.log
Since you faced file system errors on the root partition as well (sda2), probably some drives don't like those two steps being made too short after another.
I can see if using the older DietPi image lets me get this info as that lets me get to console on boot. As I wasn't actively using the drive I put it in a safe place, yes one of those so safe I can't remember where it is now :/ I'll update when I can find it and get that info.
garlik82

Post by garlik82 »

Hi guys. I have that same jmicron adapter. Can I help debugging this? just tell what needs to be done.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Many thanks for the offer. If you find time to simply flash the current 32-bit DietPi RPi image onto a USB drive attached via that adapter and see if an RPi 3 or 4 successfully boots from it + has the root file system extended as expected, that would be great. So we can see whether it is adapter-specific or if probably our extension script logs some useful error that might give a hint for improvements our side, like doing one reboot between partition expansion and file system expansion.
przemko

Post by przemko »

Hi, @MichaIng I install now on usb HDD connected to Rpi and it works out of the box without sd-card on jmicron adapter.

regards,
Przemek
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Okay that is great, many thanks for reporting back :).