Cannot Get VNC To Show Desktop Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Eodyne

Cannot Get VNC To Show Desktop

Post by Eodyne »

So I've tried multiple things I've found in various threads here:

I'm trying to get VNC to work but keep getting a "Cannot Currently Show Desktop" Error over and over. Here's what I've done so far:

Installed VNCServer from dietpi_software
I've tried adding :1 after the IP address on my VNC Viewer on my desktop, it returns a "refused connection" error.

I've tried to edit /DietPi/dietpi.txt as suggested in several threads but when I SSH in with root and do nano /Dietpi/dietpi.txt I get a "/DietPi does not exist" message.

The same thing happens if I SSH in with the DietPi user.

I'm at a complete loss here and any help would be appreciated.

I should note that everything else seems to be working no problem.
Joulinar

Re: Cannot Get VNC To Show Desktop

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

pls can you give some more details on your system. What SBC, what DietPi version you are using.

Furthermore /DietPi did not exist anymore. Whole content was moved to /boot
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Eodyne

Post by Eodyne »

Using a Raspberry Pi 4B

Linux DietPi 5.4.72-v7l+
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

why not using RealVNC?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Eodyne

Post by Eodyne »

Sorry should have specified, I did install RealVNC from dietpi_software and am trying to connect via VNCViewer from my Desktop. It connects but displays the "cannot currently show the desktop" error.

But I didn't know about the depreciation of the DietPi directory. Now I've set hdmi_safe=1 in config.txt and its working.

Thanks so much!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

do you have any other desktop environment installed? Or set to autostart? Let's check which port is used by RealVNC.

Code: Select all

ss -tulpn | grep LISTEN
Eodyne

Post by Eodyne »

Thanks I got it to work once I knew about the DietPi directory depreciated and those files moved into boot. Appreciate the help!
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

what did you changed now to get it working