RealVNC Server ... not in softwarelist anymore? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Joulinar

Re: RealVNC Server ... not in softwarelist anymore?

Post by Joulinar »

Correct :D
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
noobian

Post by noobian »

Joulinar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:25 pm [...]Downside at the moment, you need to have an active desktop session running. Otherwise I just get the back screen. So I setup 23 LXDE: ultra lightweight desktop and put it to autostart.
When I tried to install it via terminal (via ssh only, no monitor cable attachable to this machine) I always get stuck, because the realvnc-setup asks for a license.
And when I try to connect to my (free)realvnc-account, I get a "no display"-issue ... how did you get around that?

I know from a couple of other dietpi-installs on mini pcs, pcs and raspis, that this "display issue" doesn't come up, when you connect to your realvnc-account through a desktop environment ... happens only when you're running completely headless
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

correct. This I discovered as well during my tries. To get RealVNC Server connected to your RealVNC account, you would need to have a desktop running. I was able to work around as I was testing on a VM 8)

However this is not a solution for headless systems running without keyboard and monitor and just being reachable via SSH. For the installation on a headless system, you might need to sign in for the Enterprise version. This is working quite well. But yeah it's not for free anymore.

May I ask for what you need the VNC? Just within your local network? Or do you need the Cloud connect? If it's just on your local network, there are other solutions as well like xRDP in combination with TigerVNC Server. But if you need the Cloud connect, you may need to connect a screen and keyboard once to get RealVNC setup.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
noobian

Post by noobian »

Need the cloudconnect.

Maybe i just first install tigervnc, access the headless machine‘s desktop locally, there install realvnc and connect visually to my account and then get rid of tigervnc again.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

puuuhh not sure if both Tiger as well as Real VNC will work next to each other
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

RealVNC and TigerVNC can work beside each other, but you'd need to change the ports they are listening on. But I'd not recommend. To not mess with licenses and stuff take TigerVNC on non-RPi, it has a few less features but gives you freedom about the VNC clients and some of RealVNC features are premium on RPi as well.