Cloudshell on Odroid XU4 feature request

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
johnvick
Legend

Cloudshell on Odroid XU4 feature request

Post by johnvick »

Really like the Cloudshell utility that displays system stats - can I request a feature to be added to switch off the display and back on at predefined times?

Another question - I have a SATA HD in the cloudshell but the DietPi Cloudshell utility does not report that there is any USB storage installed?

If I plug in a USB flash drive - same.

Thanks for any help.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Cloudshell on Odroid XU4 feature request

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:Really like the Cloudshell utility that displays system stats - can I request a feature to be added to switch off the display and back on at predefined times?

Another question - I have a SATA HD in the cloudshell but the DietPi Cloudshell utility does not report that there is any USB storage installed?

If I plug in a USB flash drive - same.

Thanks for any help.
Hi John,

Regarding the USB drive:
DietPi-Cloudshell expects your USB drive to be mounted to /mnt/usb_1. /mnt/usb_1 is the location where DietPi dedicated USB drive would be mounted to. If you did not set this up when you 1st installed DietPi, you can either:

Use the DietPi setup tool to mount an existing drive to /mnt/usb_1

Code: Select all

/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-external_drive_setup
Follow the onscreen instructions, say N to formatting. Drive will then be mounted to /mnt/usb_1. Remove any /etc/fstab entries for the current drive, before running this.

Choose another mount point for DietPi-Cloudshell to use:
Edit /DietPi/dietpi/.dietpi-cloudshell and change the 3rd line to your current mount location, eg:

Code: Select all

/mnt/MyUsbDrive
. Restart dietpi-cloudshell for the changes to take effect
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Really like the Cloudshell utility that displays system stats - can I request a feature to be added to switch off the display and back on at predefined times?
Yep, great idea, i'll take a look.

I've created a Git Ticket for this request, you can track the progress here: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/379.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Thanks - got the USB drive reconfigured and it shows in the stats.

Thanks also for looking into switching the screen off - I'm sure many people have this device in their bedrooms and would appreciate this.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:Thanks - got the USB drive reconfigured and it shows in the stats.

Thanks also for looking into switching the screen off - I'm sure many people have this device in their bedrooms and would appreciate this.
No worries, will see what I can do.

My XU4 + Cloudshell is in the kitchen, no idea why, most likely because its close to the kettle + coffee lol. Watch stats while you wait for morning coffee :)
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Thanks for looking into this - another useful feature would be to be able to turn the screen off and on from the command line.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:Thanks for looking into this - another useful feature would be to be able to turn the screen off and on from the command line.
Hi John,

From what I remember when working on dietpi-cloudshell, I dont believe this is possible, unless the command is used on the main screen.
However, i've made a note on the ticket to see if I can find a way to make this work.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Just saw you'd finished it thanks - I'll try it when I get tomorrow.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:Just saw you'd finished it thanks - I'll try it when I get tomorrow.
Hi John,

Although its completed, it wont be available until v120 is released. I'am aiming to release v120 this weekend.

If you want to test the new feature, you'll need to switch to the testing branch. As this is potentially unstable, i'd recommend doing this on a fresh installation using a different EMMC/SD card: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/blob/ ... _SYSTEM.md
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Just tried this out buy using this link I found in the Github thread - I'm still on v119.

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Fourd ... cloudshell -O /DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-cloudshell

This gives dietpi-cloudshell v6.

It gives a message:

Screen will be powered down in under 1 minute.

setterm: terminal xterm does not support --blank

setterm cannot (un)set powersave mode: input output error.

Maybe it relies on something else that is to be in v120?