Cooling Raspberry Pi3

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Starlight5

Cooling Raspberry Pi3

Post by Starlight5 »

I just got a RPi3. I would like to use it in enclosed plastic case like my RPi2. I have a heatsink and thick thermal pad lying around, it covers both SoC and the other chip on the front of the board. In order to mount it without risk of physically damaging something, I will have to use parts of thick thermal pad (the one on photo) on SoC, the second chip, display connector and USB casing.

Should I use the heatsink as described, or avoid using it and run the Pi3 without any cooling? Sadly, these are the only alternatives available at the moment - proper heatsink/case will take ages to be delivered. Cooler is definitely out of the question, I need it silent.

Please advise me! I'm eager to use the new board - but not to a point of risking damaging it, of course.

Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Cooling Raspberry Pi3

Post by Fourdee »

Starlight5 wrote:Should I use the heatsink as described, or avoid using it and run the Pi3 without any cooling?
Generally speaking, if unsure, dont risk it :)

Although, as long as there is no direct (metal) contact from the heaksink to any components on the board, it should be fine. The last thing you want is to create a circuit from 1 part of the PCB to another, via the heatsink.

The RPi 3 does run hot and it does require a heatsink (in my eyes), however, it is rated to 85'C and thermal throttling will attempt to prevent it going higher than that, although, as most have noticed, the surface heat of the BCM 2837 is around 10'c hotter than the probed temp.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Starlight5

Post by Starlight5 »

@Fourdee thank you very much for your reply. I believe I will be able to fit it without touching the USB board and plastic of connectors. My main concern is whether it is acceptable to have the BCM chip and the second chip on the front of the board sharing one heatsink, or not.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Starlight5 wrote:@Fourdee thank you very much for your reply. I believe I will be able to fit it without touching the USB board and plastic of connectors. My main concern is whether it is acceptable to have the BCM chip and the second chip on the front of the board sharing one heatsink, or not.
BCM runs a bit hotter, so it may actually increase the heat of the other chip, so you'll need to monitor it:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/C8TaU.jpg
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Starlight5

Post by Starlight5 »

@Fourdee SMSC 9514 has max operating temp limited to 70C. Is there a way to monitor it's temp using software?
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Starlight5 wrote:Assuming it is SMSC 9514 like on RPi2, it's max operating temp is limited to 70C...
Yep , BCM is on left, other chip (SMSC 9514) is on the right: http://i.stack.imgur.com/C8TaU.jpg
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

Starlight5 wrote:@Fourdee SMSC 9514 has max operating temp limited to 70C. Is there a way to monitor it's temp using software?
Not as far as i know, doesn't have a heat probe sensor. cpu temp should give you a 'rough' indication due to shared heatsink, but if in doubt, do the burn finger test on heatsink to get a rough idea :)