Lovely

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
scargill

Lovely

Post by scargill »

If you want a quote for your front page - how about this - you're welcome.. "DietPi for VirtualBox is the nearest thing to owning a Pi I've ever seen".

And when I say Pi I mean generic Pi - after failing MISERABLY with a generic Debian on VirtualBox, my friend Jonathan suggested I try DietPi for VirtualBox - not only did it run "out of the box" as it were, it runs my kitchen sink script absolutely flawlessly. That is, Node-Red, Mosquitto, Sqlite, PHPLiteAdmin, Webmin, a basic web page, all of my favourite nodes and much more - without a hitch. Now I can be a LOT more experimental without fear of having to backup and restore SDs - marvelous. All you need to start your own home control setup - in minutes. Add in a few ESP8266 modules...

Here are the details. http://tech.scargill.net/virtual-pi/
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Lovely

Post by Fourdee »

Hi Peter,
I grabbed the image from the DIETPI website, loaded it in, created a PI user (I’ve a short script for that, too) and loaded up my script. NOT A SINGLE ERROR – it’s not even this clean on a proper PI !!!
Great to hear our VM images are doing some #lightweightjustice :) Nice article, great read!

As mentioned here (under PS), we have Node-red and Mosquitto comming to dietpi-software in v140. Should make for a quick and easy install:
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.