XU4 kernel 4.9 - supported in DietPi?

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
johnvick
Legend

XU4 kernel 4.9 - supported in DietPi?

Post by johnvick »

Hi Fourdee,

Not having much success trying to install this - have you tried it yet and if so how did you do it?

John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: XU4 kernel 4.9 - supported in DietPi?

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:Hi Fourdee,

Not having much success trying to install this - have you tried it yet and if so how did you do it?

John
Hi John,

Unfortunately, not had a chance yet to try it yet. Will try and get round to it in the next day or two, and let you know how it goes :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Got a bit impatient yesterday and set up dual boot eMMC/SD with Ubuntu on the SD. The Ubuntu side seems to be working OK. I am in the early stages of testing video transcoding. Naturally would prefer to have it running under DietPi.

John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:Got a bit impatient yesterday and set up dual boot eMMC/SD with Ubuntu on the SD. The Ubuntu side seems to be working OK. I am in the early stages of testing video transcoding. Naturally would prefer to have it running under DietPi.

John
Hi John,

I received a message from Meveric, think hes found the possible cause and solution. I'll paste it here:
I found the solution to that issue.
HardKernel changed the way eMMC and SD card are detected.
In Kernel 3.x eMMC or SD card were found as mmcblk0 if you've booted from them.
Now in 4.x they changed it so that SD card is ALWAYS found as mmcblk1 which of cause causes an issue with my image, since i mount /mmcblk0p1 as /boot
If you load from a SD card this does no longer exist and the system is unable to complete booting.

If you change /etc/fstab and change /dev/mmcblk0p1 for UUID=96C3-9298 it should work again, no matter if you use SD card or eMMC.
That way my Kernel 4.9.11 or 4.9.12 should work fine.
Double check UUID with:

Code: Select all

blkid
Hopefully I'll get round to testing this soon :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
joaofl

Post by joaofl »

Hi Fourdee.

I did install the new kernel, changed the device to the UUID mentioned (without double checking :o ) and now I can no longer boot it. Its refusing any connection.

Should I change only the boot partition, or also for the root one as well?

How can I debug this issue and help on fixing it?

Thanks
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

joaofl wrote:Should I change only the boot partition, or also for the root one as well?
Hi,

Its only the RootFS partition that needs to be updated with UUID in /DietPi/boot.ini (or /boot/boot.ini if powered off), and, /etc/fstab.

So, /dev/mmcblk0p2 references would need to be changed to blkid | grep mmcblk0p2. On my device:

UUID="e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859"
And remove quotes:

UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859

In /DietPi/boot.ini:

setenv bootrootfs "console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait ro fsck.repair=yes"
Becomes:

setenv bootrootfs "console=tty1 root=UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 rootwait ro fsck.repair=yes"
in /etc/fstab:

/dev/mmcblk0p2  /               auto    defaults,noatime,discard               0 1
Becomes:

UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859  /               auto    defaults,noatime,discard               0 1
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Hi Joaofl,

How did you install the new kernel?

I did it on a dual boot basis with Ubuntu but couldn't get it to work on DietPi and it wasn't due to the changed SD card business as I always set up devices by UUID. Then my eMMC died so I scrapped the project. I should get a new one today.

John
joaofl

Post by joaofl »

@Fourdee, thanks for your reply.

For it to work, I also had to change the boot partition to my UUID as well, otherwise it would freeze at some point at the boot.

Saw it in the other discussion thread http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 83#p182883.
@johnvick you need to alter /etc/fstab change the entry for /dev/mmcblk0p1 to UUID=96C3-9298. (hopefully the UUID wasn't modified by Fourdee :))

So now it boots, but, there is something I still did not figured out:

when i type uname -a, I get:
Linux DietPi 3.10.104+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 21 14:20:54 CET 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
Does it mean it did not update?

I have asked it there, and he said:
Especially zImage and vzlinuz-4.9.13 if they do not match.. copy vzlinuz-4.9.13 and rename it to zImage.
But after installing the new kernel, this file is not shown there.. There is only the old 3.10...

Also, @rooted suggested to change the reference to a .dtb file at the boot.ini, specific for the XU4.
fatload mmc 0:1 0x44000000 exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb

However this file is not available in DietPi

So far, I'm only getting at most 30MB/s ethernet, like before. Not the gigabit performance mentioned by some users in that thread.
joaofl

Post by joaofl »

johnvick wrote:Hi Joaofl,

How did you install the new kernel?

I did it on a dual boot basis with Ubuntu but couldn't get it to work on DietPi and it wasn't due to the changed SD card business as I always set up devices by UUID. Then my eMMC died so I scrapped the project. I should get a new one today.

John
Hi John.

I installed the deb file shared by maveric, and changed the partition references to their respective UUID.. By I'm afraid I'm still booting the old kernel....
joaofl

Post by joaofl »

It was booting previously, but because there was an error during install. On a fresh install, a manage to get the meveric deb files installed, but it does not boot the ethernet controlled, like in you case @johnvick.

Also, I gave a try on measuring the USB3 performance with the 4.9 kernel. It actually dropped from around 80 Mb/s to around 50 Mb/s.

So maybe it is not the time yet. Lets see... I hope I can get the best of the performance of my XU4