[Software Suggestion] Domoticz

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
WarHawk

Re: [Software Suggestion] Domoticz

Post by WarHawk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:09 am

Just seemed the wind was taken out of your sails

Yes, please explain further...

astrogerard

Post by astrogerard » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Well, first of all I do not want to make this into a negative thread. All the voluntiers deserve credit for all the good work. I can understand why (some) people are happy with DietPi. I was too until version 6 came.

What really stops me from using DietPi is the ease of which the developpers tell you to do a fresh install and there is no upgrade possible. I have some DietPi installations on remote locations which are not updatable anymore and are physically unreachable for some time. On the first occasion I will switch to a distro with a longer expected lifetime than DietPi.

Since I made a +1 to add Domoticz to DietPi I think it is fair to tell why for me it doesn't work anymore.

Again, I do not want to be negative but on the other hand would like to tell why I think the current policy of DietPi is not suitable for reliable systems.

ilgrank2

Post by ilgrank2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:02 am

To FourDee:

you closed the requested recently on Github:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/129
Marking all software requests as closed. Once interest peaks, we'll reopen once work starts
but I hope you can reconsider :)

Many thanks for your great work!

midnightwatcher

Post by midnightwatcher » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:23 pm

astrogerard wrote:Well, first of all I do not want to make this into a negative thread. All the voluntiers deserve credit for all the good work. I can understand why (some) people are happy with DietPi. I was too until version 6 came.

What really stops me from using DietPi is the ease of which the developpers tell you to do a fresh install and there is no upgrade possible. I have some DietPi installations on remote locations which are not updatable anymore and are physically unreachable for some time. On the first occasion I will switch to a distro with a longer expected lifetime than DietPi.

Since I made a +1 to add Domoticz to DietPi I think it is fair to tell why for me it doesn't work anymore.

Again, I do not want to be negative but on the other hand would like to tell why I think the current policy of DietPi is not suitable for reliable systems.
The only fresh install I've ever had to do of DietPi was from 1.59 to 6.x, otherwise it has always easily upgraded with each release. Perhaps you've missed the memo, see below. Sometimes a bit of progress requires a little bit of extra effort.

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -285207849

astrogerard

Post by astrogerard » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:21 pm

No, I didn't miss the memo. In fact that underlines my opinion. Many users are unhappy of the absence of an upgrade. Ditching a -1 version within a few days and not even taking the time to get rid of the damn Xmas tree in a "non manual intervention by the user manner" shows the lack of empathy by the devs. How good these coding guys are, without this kind of empathy large companies (including our one) will never hire them.

That said, I still do not want to be negative. If you like this way of releasing software, please keep using and supporting DietPi.

midnightwatcher

Post by midnightwatcher » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:26 am

astrogerard wrote:No, I didn't miss the memo. In fact that underlines my opinion. Many users are unhappy of the absence of an upgrade.
And then many users realize that, hey, it's free software and get over it with a fresh install of the latest and greatest.

I, for one, am very thankful that an excellent piece of software like DietPi is even available.

Keep up the excellent work Fourdee and team. Domoticz will prove to be yet another tasty DietPi ingredient.

astrogerard

Post by astrogerard » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:03 pm

midnightwatcher wrote:hey, it's free software and get over it with a fresh install of the latest and greatest.

No need to get over it and don't tell me what to do. If you have read my posts, for all of my remote locations I'm forced to visit the location and replace DietPi with a distro with a more reliable expected lifetime. Evidently I would not have chosen DietPi if reinstalling is the only way to upgrade (my bad). I even don't understand why the devs call it an upgrade.

As said before I don't want to be negative and there is nothing wrong with DietPi but it's not suitable for me anymore. That's all.

pvklink

Post by pvklink » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:30 pm

I just installed dietpi for the first time on my rpi 3, and have some problems!

1) I need this os for running domoticz.
I read that domoticz is part of the default software that you can select, but i cant fnd it...

So i installed domoticz manually in /home/root/ by
sudo curl -L install.domoticz.com | sudo bash

and choosed for port 82 and folder home\root

But no domotic on <ip>:82

2) i installed chromium and choosed to start this by boot-up
no chromium ....at bootup

ilgrank2

Post by ilgrank2 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 am

This thread has gone a bit off-topic..
Back to the original question.. any chance to see Domoticz implemented?
Many thanks!

locutusweb

Post by locutusweb » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:57 pm

pvklink wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:30 pm
I just installed dietpi for the first time on my rpi 3, and have some problems!

1) I need this os for running domoticz.
I read that domoticz is part of the default software that you can select, but i cant fnd it...
I have made a mini tutorial here

Still +1 for adding domoticz in dietpi software selection.