PC version Nvidia trouble

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
dubyazero

PC version Nvidia trouble

Post by dubyazero » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Been trying to get this solved for a few hours now. Basically when installing the Nvidia driver DietPi seems to take issue with my 750Ti and gives an xconf related "no screens found" error whenever trying to do startx.

Now, on FreeBSD and another Linux distro I happen to know the solution to this is to add nvidia-modeset_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf but this doesn't work with DietPi. Any way to invoke it or anyone know of the solution..?

dubyazero

Re: PC version Nvidia trouble

Post by dubyazero » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:30 pm

So having failed repeatedly with the dietpi built-in-installer option... AND ITS GOOD NEWS.
I found debian instructions, which happen to work perfectly and I now have an apparently fully working Nvidia DietPi install!
For anyone who has trouble with Nvidia drivers under the PC version of DietPi, follow this short guide TO THE LETTER (only substitute the Nvidia driver it tells you to download for the latest current driver for your card);

http://www.allaboutlinux.eu/remove-nouv ... ebian-8/1/

No idea if this could be implemented by DietPi itself in some way but obviously a huge difference to the apparently non-working current installer included. Kodi now works, for example, which doesn't under Nouveau! Hope it helps someone!

Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I personally tested with 1050Ti successfully with DietPi.
Seems nouveau is the issue here, we'll add this to DietPi and disable by default during nvidia install:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1244
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.

Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Fourdee wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I personally tested with 1050Ti successfully with DietPi.
Seems nouveau is the issue here, we'll add this to DietPi and disable by default during nvidia install:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1244
Hi,

We've applied the fix for DietPi v159, would you be willing to test for us?
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -345530450
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.

dubyazero

Post by dubyazero » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:29 am

I will try to do so today, time permitting.

dubyazero

Post by dubyazero » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Having done the update to 159, and doing nothing other than installing the Nvidia driver and lxde (then a reboot), startx, and looking at Nvidia server settings within lxde it states that Nouveau is still being used, and to logout and do nvidia-xconfig. This then results in the same no screens error as before. Being slowed somewhat with testing as limited to wifi right now for unrelated reasons, but happy to take another look as needed.

Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:53 pm

dubyazero wrote:Having done the update to 159, and doing nothing other than installing the Nvidia driver and lxde (then a reboot), startx, and looking at Nvidia server settings within lxde it states that Nouveau is still being used, and to logout and do nvidia-xconfig. This then results in the same no screens error as before. Being slowed somewhat with testing as limited to wifi right now for unrelated reasons, but happy to take another look as needed.
Thanks for testing.

Can you please verify latest testing branch code is in use:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
Should return:

Code: Select all

blacklist nouveau
 blacklist lbm-nouveau
 options nouveau modeset=0
 alias nouveau off
 alias lbm-nouveau off

dubyazero

Post by dubyazero » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 am

Yep, all those commands are indeed in there.

Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:23 pm

dubyazero wrote:Yep, all those commands are indeed in there.
Strange looks fine. If the module is blacklisted, it shouldn't be possible for it to be available to system.

Could be possible we need to reboot after running "update-initramfs -u", to ensure new settings are loaded by system. Maybe the Nvidia driver install is loading current env settings, then overwriting the initramfs we previously generated.

Might be worth us blacklisting "nouveau" by default on the image, this might resolve the issue.

Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Ok, i've sent the commit for:
nouveau now blacklisted by default on all our x86_64 systems, preferring official Nvidia driver:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issue ... -346902934

Gets blacklisted during dietpi-update on testing branch. If you would be willing to test again for us, i'd really appreciate it.