Raspberry PoE-HAT Fan Speed

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Joulinar

Re: Raspberry PoE-HAT Fan Speed

Post by Joulinar »

does it has issues on all different OS ?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
bequflo

Post by bequflo »

Hi, with the others OS was work the wifi but not do the ethernet, the eth0 always be down.
I have given up using it, now i use external power supply
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

maybe something wrong with the PoE-HAT. An alternativ would be using a POE Splitter

Amazon Link
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
bequflo

Post by bequflo »

Hi again.

I'm working with Raspberry 3 and POE HAT a couple off years they work very good. Now with the Raspberry 4 this is not possible.
I have several Raspberry and several POE HAT all of this doing the same.
But now i was installed "chromiumos_test_image_r77r2-rpi4b" into the Raspberry PI 4 with de POE HAT installed and all work right
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

but if I understood right, this is not working on standard Raspberry OS as well. Correct?
bequflo

Post by bequflo »

That's correctly the POE HAT was works right with Chrome OS but not with Raspbian OS
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

OK than it's an issue of Raspberry OS. As DietPi is using Raspberry OS as base image (for RPi boards), your PoE-HAT is not working on DietPi as well.
Matt

Post by Matt »

The_Raven wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:22 pm Hi all

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with a PoE-HAT.
The HAT has a fan on it.
On raspian it's possible now to control the speed with a config-parameter in the config.txt:
dtparam=poe_fan_temp0=55000,poe_fan_temp1=60000
This turns on the fan @ 55C°.
I have tried this on dietpi, but i think it does not work.
Should this work or not?

Thx an greetings
Hi All,

I have a Raspebbry Pi 3B+ and I have attached a fan to it. The fan is just a fan, with two wires coming out of it. It is NOT a PoE-HAT with a fan. The fan is on the whole time running at full speed.

Is it possible to control the fan?

Thanks
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Nope, if the fan is just connected to the board, it will spin whole time until you removed power. To have it controlled, you need additional stuff. There are a couple of guides on the web. Just search for "raspberry fan control"
The_Raven

Post by The_Raven »

Quick and dirt fix:
You can add a resistor to lower the speed (and the noise).