Fresh install with SSD - Only boots to emergency mode

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
Niall Kearney

Fresh install with SSD - Only boots to emergency mode

Post by Niall Kearney »

I've installed Dietpi on a 128GB USB (Kingspec brand) and running in to issue booting from it. It appears that it times out while waiting for the drive to resize and just fails. I've tested with raspberry pi OS and it images, boots and appears to resize without any problems.

Could it be connected to the issue outlined here? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7726&p=25503&hilit=ssd#p25503

Rebooting doesn't do much, sits there on "[vc_sm_connected_init]: failed to initialize shared memory service"

and after a few minutes continues on to much the same emergency mode message

Not sure where to go from here to resolve this, would anyone have suggestions?
Joulinar

Re: Fresh install with SSD - Only boots to emergency mode

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

not sure what SBC your are running but how is it behaving if you plug it into a USB2 port. As well can you check if your are using a JMicron SATA to USB adapter
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Niall Kearney

Post by Niall Kearney »

Joulinar wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:58 pm Hi,

not sure what SBC your are running but how is it behaving if you plug it into a USB2 port. As well can you check if your are using a JMicron SATA to USB adapter
Sorry, it's a RPI 4 2GB. It behaves the same but slower when in a USB2. I reimaged the drive just to make sure but it still goes to the emergency mode message.

Looking at lsusb it mentions JMicron once but not SATA to USB.

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0578:0578 Intrinsix Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.10
  bDeviceClass            0
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x0578 Intrinsix Corp.
  idProduct          0x0578
  bcdDevice           12.14
  iManufacturer           1 JMicron
  iProduct                2 KingSpec Z3-128
  iSerial                 3 DD564198838738BADB
  bNumConfigurations      1
lsusb -t shows it using the UAS driver on raspberry pi os.

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo lsusb -t
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 5000M
And a UAS driver is in use on windows 10 for it so doesn't look like the JMicron UAS curse.
Attachments
2021-01-19 16_46_15-Computer Management.png
2021-01-19 16_46_15-Computer Management.png (25.7 KiB) Viewed 516 times
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

we have a couple of reports for these adaptor using JMicron chip. If possible try to use a different one, as this was the solution nearly all case.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
Niall Kearney

Post by Niall Kearney »

Joulinar wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:09 pm we have a couple of reports for these adaptor using JMicron chip. If possible try to use a different one, as this was the solution nearly all case.
Thanks, I'll need to buy another drive at some point as it's one of those compact portable SSDs so pretty much sealed up. Coupled with brexit and lockdowns it takes several weeks for anything to get delivered to me. Raspberry Pi OS boots from it so I'll try that for awhile and see if I run in to any issues further down the line.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

hmm if Raspberry OS is working, it should be working on DietPi as well. Because DietPi is nothing else as a Raspberry OS with some scripting on top. If you not mind, install plain Raspberry OS for testing and try running to run DietPi PREP script afterwards to setup DietPi on top https://dietpi.com/docs/dietpi_sbc/#mak ... stribution

Curious to see how it will behave
Niall Kearney

Post by Niall Kearney »

I'm just setting this up for some home automation experiments and to learn more about docker so I have no problem wiping it again if you need me to try other things. Not sure if it makes a difference but I installed docker, python3 and a couple of other basics.

I ran that setup script and lost SSH access after the reboot so attached a screen and getting different errors.

First is a wait for something for 1m 33seconds. Not sure what but when raspberry pi os was running boot time seemed quite fast.
IMG_20210121_195521.jpg
Once it gets past that there are a load of errors, plenty about the drive with EXT4_fs error (device sda2) and then it won't respond to any inputs at all.
IMG_20210121_195521.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20210121_195604.jpg
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

do you have the possibility to test a different adapter for the SSD?
Niall Kearney

Post by Niall Kearney »

Joulinar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:24 pm do you have the possibility to test a different adapter for the SSD?
This one is sealed so I can't :( the only alternative I have is an old startech USB to SATA adapter. I can give it a go, just not sure what chipset its using.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

understood

@Niall Kearney
for testing, can you install plain Raspberry OS and once up and running with your SSD, run DietPi PREP script https://dietpi.com/docs/dietpi_sbc/#mak ... stribution

@MichaIng
any ideas? I thought it might be the JMicron chip causing issues on boot. However the SSD is working in Raspberry OS