G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[1]=‘applied’
G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[2]=‘applied’

• Distro version | bullseye
  • Kernel version | 6.1.11-meson64
  • SBC model | Odroid N2 (aarch64)
  • Power supply used | 12V/4A POE adapter
  • SD card used | oDroid 16G MMC

Steps to reproduce

• Clean install of latest DietPI (8.14.1) from : https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_OdroidN2-ARMv8-Bullseye.7z

• write directly to eMMC card, either while installed in N2, or via adapter.

• will not boot in “MMC” mode. Other distros (ubuntu/etc) will.

• will boot in SPI mode when petiteboot is started first, then boots from first found disk

Expected behaviour

Should be bootable in eMMC mode

If you have backup image before it will still boot from MMC just restore to eMMC then update , but fresh install new dietpi image not working , I don’t know why i already tried 2 type of eMMC but install other os like android Ubuntu without problem .

Forget about the eMMC unless you need dualboot because you can now use SPI directly boot from external ssd .

same issue I’m seeing.

• dietpi will not boot from eMMC without SPI, all others will
1 Like

ping @MichaIng maybe he could assist

Interesting, in my case it is the other way round: It boots fine from eMMC with “MMC” mode, but fails to do so via petitboot :smile:.

The newer U-Boot build we use does already fix a set of cases where eMMC boot failed (@greentea1 and others) before (in “MMC” mode, when petitboot was not supported at all). There was a single case where it fails to boot from SD card, while the previous U-Boot build did, and now another single case with eMMC. Looks like the U-Boot build which reliably boots on Odroid N2(+) from any SD card and eMMC still needs to be found. At least in your case it works via SPI.

Maybe we should do own U-Boot builds to throw a third candidate into the game :smile:.

@d.lasher There has been a patch added to Armbian’s U-Boot sources which seem to be related to your eMMC boot issue: odroidn2: u-boot: fix eMMC stability · armbian/build@5c15e3f · GitHub

Would you mind to test this:

wget 'https://dietpi.com/downloads/binaries/testing/linux-u-boot-odroidn2-current.deb'
dpkg -i linux-u-boot-odroidn2-current.deb
source /usr/lib/u-boot/platform_install.sh
# Unmute output/errors
eval "$(declare -f write_uboot_platform | sed -e 's| > /dev/null 2>&1||g' -e 's|status=none|status=progress|g')"
write_uboot_platform "$DIR" "$(lsblk -npo PKNAME "$G_ROOTFS_DEV")"

But if it fails, you would need to flash the other U-Boot binary from another Linux system, to make it boot again :wink:.