first experiences with DietPi

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
kovzol

first experiences with DietPi

Post by kovzol »

Guys, you did a good work. Thanks! The image flashing was straightforward with the etcher tool. Well documented!

I tried DietPi (on a Raspberry Pi 3) because I have a small SD card with 1 GB. I learned that I have to remove the file /var/swap, otherwise I cannot install anything. By default it was created as a big 500 MB file and I couldn't do anything. Please fix this problem.

I find it very annoying that you need to have at least 500 MB free disk space to install software from the dietpi-software tool. To avoid this problem I added an USB stick (2 GB extra), and copied and symlinked back /var/lib/apt and /var/cache/apt on it. Also, I symlinked several other folders (/usr/share, after installing Chromium also /usr/lib/chromium-browser, /usr/lib/firefox-esr, and others) to the stick. In this way I can use much more space than 1 GB, even if I don't have a bigger SD card.

As I played with DietPi the whole day, I collected some other issues:

1. Chromium cannot start without desktop when setting it in dietpi-autostart. The system wants to start a program "chromium" but it does not exist. Instead, "chromium-browser" is the name of the executable! This should be fixed.
2. Kodi works nice, but there is no audio via headphone jack (I use HDMI for video output but not for audio). The audio in Chromium works, but it is a bit noisy. I know that this is a Raspbian issue as well.
3. YouTube videos in Chromium are rather slow, but this is an issue with the Raspberry Pi hardware, I guess. Actually, Kodi was playing the YouTube videos in HD mode almost without any lagging.
4. Netflix (in Chromium) was complained about an old version of an old plugin. I did not try updating Chromium (it wanted to be updated), I guess, there is no way to do that. Actually, Chromium complained about running as root (with the --no-sandbox option). This looks a bit unelegant.

Kind regards,
Zoltan