network not supported! How to share a folder from 1 pi with multiple raspis on the same network

Having issues with your DietPi installation or found a bug? Post it here.
DevSkyWalker

network not supported! How to share a folder from 1 pi with multiple raspis on the same network

Post by DevSkyWalker »

So I am kind of stumped I have 3 small issues. I have a cluster of 4 x raspis 8gb all wired ethernet connections -1, I set up fresh install of Amiberry on all 4 with only

LXDE:
XRDP
RealVNC Server:
Samba
Docker:
Portainer:
LEMP: nginx | mariadb | php
Samba Server:
Remot3.it:

I Have 1-pi as a master-node, and the plan is to build a Raspberry Pi cluster running Kubernetes that acts a media server, and a home-brew dev-lab for some apps and things I am building I also have Nginx Proxy server setup and running.

I have 2 4TB external SSD drives. both are mounted; #1 for user data call DevDrive and #2 has media on it call MediaDrive... DevDrive is mounted is ext4 and blank ,I transfered the user data all is good. and the other drive has media and projects so I just mounted it and its all good there except for:

issue #1 MediaDrive for some reason keeps unmounting when I reboot randomly?

Issue #2 when I add a shortcut to my DevDrive (/mnt/DevDrive/dietpi_userdata/MediaDrive) when I access the folders on windows It will not let me have permissions.

I have tried:

Code: Select all

chmod -R 775 /mnt/MediaDrive
-and-

Code: Select all

chmod -R 775 /mnt/DevDrive/dietpi_userdata/MediaDrive 
Just to note the permissions from the desktop on the pi via right click are for root users and I am logging into the drive via windows with dietpi user?

Image to screenshot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9N48vo6Adgow4aVi6

On the master node I set samba as my NAS I have no problem accessing it on Windows minus the folder access issues from my shortcuts.

My 3rd and most frustrating issue is that I want to be able access the shared folder with the other 3 pis but when I go to network to see about adding them I get an error saying network not supported?

I did however notice when I switched one of my Raspis to wireless the network was available and I did not get an error like the phot shows above?. I have no ideas how to see the samba folder from the other Raspis like I can on windows? I made sure to install wifi on the dietpi.txt during setup fo all.

If anyone can point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it very much, Thanks!

If I am correct when samba was install it made the user-data a shared folder and network drive? but I could be wrong. When I go to Dietpi-DriveManger and try to add a network drive in ether Samba of NFsS I get errors as follows:

Samba error =

[FAILED] Samba mount failed with the following error output:

│ mount error(13): Permission denied
│ Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

NFS:
map query failed: RPC: Program not registered │
│ mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported │
│ mount.nfs: timeout set for Tue Mar 9 17:34:22 2021 │
│ mount.nfs: trying text-based options │
│ 'port=2049,vers=4.2,addr=192.168.254.70,clientaddr=192.168.254.70' │
│ mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'port=2049,addr=192.168.254.70' │
│ mount.nfs: prog 100003, trying vers=3, prot=6 │
│ mount.nfs: prog 100003, trying vers=3, prot=17
Joulinar

Re: network not supported! How to share a folder from 1 pi with multiple raspis on the same network

Post by Joulinar »

NFS will not work if you installed SAMBA as it is a complete different protocol

for SAMBA you have a mount error(13): Permission denied. Looks like user/password was not correct to access the share.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
DevSkyWalker

How to share mounted directories ONLY between multiple raspis devices

Post by DevSkyWalker »

I'm kind of new with the dietpi, so I do apologize I have search the internet for dayz only finding how to connect dietpi /raspi via SAmba and NFS to Window. I need to know how I can access a folder sitting on a raspi from another raspi.

I have a 4 cluster build, and am wanting to use 1 for the main node that is connected to a 2TB SSD where the user dat resides. I need to be able to access the folders

Master-node
node-1
node-2
node-3
node-4

how can node1,2,3,4 access the master node and also have the Master node read and write to a shared file on each of them.

I only have basics services installed:

LXDR desktop
Samba
remote.it
NPM
XDLR
VNC Server...

In windows I can run \\masternode_ip and the drive pops up, I can then map it and access it all day. how can I accomplish this with raspis???

I can SSH in to all devices, and will be runnin SDC with MPI eventually, but I am looking for a way to do this similar to windows where I can access a folder on another pi in my bookmarks?

Also they are all wired independently over ethernet switch not chained together...
Joulinar

Re: network not supported! How to share a folder from 1 pi with multiple raspis on the same network

Post by Joulinar »

you can create a samba server on master node and mount it on all other device.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
DevSkyWalker

Post by DevSkyWalker »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:55 pm you can create a samba server on master node and mount it on all other device.
I am missing the steps on how to mount it to those other Rspi Drives. I have no idea how to access a shared folder from one raspi to another. There is no network tools like windows that let me do this unless I am missing somthing?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

did you tried using dietpi-drive_manager to mount SAMBA share?