[solved] VirtualBox image doesn't start

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Markstar

[solved] VirtualBox image doesn't start

Post by Markstar »

Hi,
I'm new to DietPi (as well as Linux in general) and I'm trying to get Pi-Hole to work. However, I already fail at the first step - getting it to run on my server (Windows 10 on a Z77 board).

I downloaded the image (DietPi_VirtualBox-x86_64-Buster.7z) and imported the .ova (both by just double-clicking the file as well as manually adding a VM and then using the ova). Sadly, when I try to start the DietPi, I get a short message ("Loading Linux...") and then only a black cursor. :(

I got the latest version of VirtualBox and have other VMs successfully running there, so I can't think of anything else to investigate on my side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, of course!

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Markstar on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: VirtualBox image doesn't start

Post by MichaIng »

Hmm very strange, works well here. Did you do any changes to the VM settings?
Markstar

Re: VirtualBox image doesn't start

Post by Markstar »

Thank you for the reply. Of course it was my fault after all. I tested the other VMs before installing Docker, but not after. Since I then discovered they also didn't work, I quickly found the solution (disabling Hyper-V). Interestingly, my Windows installation then crashed completely on reboot and I had to load an old backup. :roll:

But now it's working like a charm!
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: [solved] VirtualBox image doesn't start

Post by MichaIng »

Perfect. Yeah Hyper-V background service is known to block CPU virtualisation acceleration for other virtualisers. You should be able to make the service start ondemand so it does only start when Hyper-V is really started.