DietPi write protected SD Card or it failed?

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
SubNoize

DietPi write protected SD Card or it failed?

Post by SubNoize »

Hey,

So I've been running DietPi on a Samsung Evo HC1 16GB micro SD Card and I've not been able to upgrade from v150 to v151.

I decided I'd pull the SD Card out of the Pi and reflash dietpi but for the life of my I can't reformat the device. Everything says the card is write protected, I can still access all the data from the boot partition.

I just can't make any changes to the drive which Is why I assume the upgrade keeps failing... So my question is, did the drive fail like this or has DietPi malfunctioned and locked it up?

From windows I can open, edit and delete files from the boot partition but cannot reformat it.

edit: I also tested everything with a spare micro SD card and it works fine.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: DietPi write protected SD Card or it failed?

Post by Fourdee »

Hi,
Everything says the card is write protected, I can still access all the data from the boot partition. From windows I can open, edit and delete files from the boot partition but cannot reformat it.
edit: I also tested everything with a spare micro SD card and it works fine.
Most likely the card is physically failing, or, the SD card reader.
I've not been able to upgrade from v150 to v151.
Due to the above, i'd imagine rootfs is being mounted as Read only to prevent further damage.

Sounds like a new SD card is needed unfortunately :(
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
SubNoize

Post by SubNoize »

Ah, that sucks then.

Do you have any recommendations on Micro SD cards or should I opt to run it off a USB stick ?
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

SubNoize wrote:Ah, that sucks then.

Do you have any recommendations on Micro SD cards or should I opt to run it off a USB stick ?
Sandisk Ultra/Extreme. All I use :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.