Need Help Installing DietPi

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
nicoff

Need Help Installing DietPi

Post by nicoff »

I Need Help Installing Dietpi
I installed Dietpi in a microSd card. I also flashed RoonBridge image to the card and added an empty “ssh” file in the root directory.

I connected the Raspberry Pi3 to my network via ethernet cable and was able to locate it and ping it.

Using “Terminal” from my iMac, I connected remotely to the Raspberry by typing <ssh root@IPaddress>

It then asked me for a password and when I typed “dietpi” it fails to recognize it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
k-plan

Re: Need Help Installing DietPi

Post by k-plan »

Hi,
nicoff wrote:I also flashed RoonBridge image to the card...
Hmm, I don't know what is a "RoonBridge image"

nicoff wrote:Any suggestions?
Yes, please let us start with DietPi.

Please start to read here: Getting started

- First to do is a "Overwrite Format" with SD Card Formatter

- Download Raspberry Pi DietPi image

- On a Mac, I love to use ApplePi Baker or Etcher .

- You can extract images with The Unarchiver, but no need to do this, if you will use ApplePi Baker.

- After burning image to SD-Card reject both partitions via finder.

- Put SD-Card in your device and power it up.

- Before you can login via ssh, it will take some time. Installation will automatically reboot your device 2 times. So be patient and watch green led on your device.

- Now you can log in via ssh by typing <ssh root@IPaddress> and DietPi will automatically update to last version.
Once completed, press enter to reboot the system. You can log back in again to resume initial setup.

- Roon Bridge can now installed via dietpi-software

cu
k-plan
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
nicoff

Post by nicoff »

Thank you, k-plan!

I have followed the procedure that you outlined and I flashed Dietpi image to the SD Card using Etcher.

You said "After burning image to SD-Card reject both partitions via finder."

What do you mean by "reject both partitions via finder"?

Using finder I can see that there are many files in the root directory and also two folders (a folder named "dietpi" and another folder named "overlays"). Each folder has files in it. Again, what do you mean by "reject both partitions via finder"?

Thanks!
k-plan

Post by k-plan »

Hi,

after burning image to sd-card, this has two partions:
  • 1st Partition:
    - Name: "boot"
    - Typ: FAT (MS Dos)
  • 2st Partition:
    - Name:
    - Typ: Ext3 (Linux)
Partition Layout on Mac OSX
Partition Layout on Mac OSX
nicoff wrote:Again, what do you mean by "reject both partitions via finder"?
"reject" - "eject" - "Auswerfen" (in german) ==>> the little knob/buttons on the right-hand side in "Finder" beside partition identifier
Finder
Finder
170402-0003.gif (5.3 KiB) Viewed 5697 times
I flashed Dietpi image to the SD Card using Etcher ...
I personally prefer ApplePi Baker. It will eject/reject SD-Card automatically after image writing, if you want.
But anyway ...
ApplePi Baker
ApplePi Baker
----------------------------------------------------------

Off Topic:

Better i will answer direct in german next time ... :D (insider especially for @Fourdee) :lol:
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
nicoff

Post by nicoff »

I just checked using the Disk Utility app and can only find one partition that is named "boot". It may be possible that since I used Etcher, it only created one portion.
I will continue following the steps that you mentioned earlier and will post my results.
Thanks!
k-plan

Post by k-plan »

nicoff wrote: It may be possible that since I used Etcher, it only created one portion.
No, not all Mac OSX versions can "see/read" Typ: Ext3 (Linux) partitions per default. No worry, it will work.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-mana ... s-in-os-x/
nicoff

Post by nicoff »

One more thing:
You said:
"- Before you can login via ssh, it will take some time. Installation will automatically reboot your device 2 times. So be patient and watch green led on your device."

The only GREEN LED light that I see is the one next to the Ethernet cable. The other LED light is on and it is RED not Green. Are both lights supposed to be Green?
nicoff

Post by nicoff »

Success!
Thank you k-plan!!!