Manual OpenMediaVault install Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Joulinar

Re: Manual OpenMediaVault install

Post by Joulinar »

You could try using docker if supported by OMV
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

It is supported https://hub.docker.com/r/ikogan/openmediavault/
However it's not recommended https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/commen ... container/

Perhaps I can give a try in docker just before I decide to have it permanently. I was asking if there's a possibility to install a vagrant or virtualbox and run a virtualmachine there to be able to make the two systems coexist together :)

Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

in theory you can install all Debian packages

but qustion is what do you like to archive with OMV? You told you are looking for Backup functions. So how does it work if you are running on a VM? ;)
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

Yes, I am looking for backup functions (long story: I have a NAS but it's slow 30MB/sec. So I'd put OMV upfront and rsync to the NAS weekly)

My plan is attach a usb disk and passthrough it to the OMV VM so I have the storage I need

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

I went ahead and installed virtualbox, vagrant and ran the openmediavault virtualbox through vagrant. Since it's all command line and no gui is needed my system is still very lightweight of ram and cpu usage. Still I need to configure the network to be bridged but it's lookinng good so far

Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

How does it behave in terms of used RAM and I/O using vitualbox and OMV?

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

It performs well with 2GB of Ram. How would you measure the IO?

Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

maybe to copy some files to see how performance is.

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

7 minutes to copy a 3 GB file over an 5GZ WiFi with Samba. I believe the performance is good. It's using a USB3 disk

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

From Windows it measures 60MB / sec again over a WiFi