network storage related questions.. Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
kannz

network storage related questions..

Post by kannz »

I have a odroid c2 which I used as a media device with kodi connected to a external hdd but i recently got a c4 for that.. would the c2 be able to run a samba share ontop of pihole and a torrent application? I know the c2 has a slower usb but I have a pretty slow internet connection so its 30ish mb/s speed limit will probably top out my connection while torrenting which is around half the speed.(10 to 12 mb/s) most of the media i would be sharing through samba would be around just below hd around 720p. thanks for any help or suggestions. :)
Joulinar

Re: network storage related questions..

Post by Joulinar »

I guess something you would need to try out yourself to see if it will fit your need.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
kannz

Post by kannz »

uh when you go to mount the hdd does it matter what you call the mount point or do you need to leave it default?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Using drive manager it could be everything in /mnt/
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
kannz

Post by kannz »

uh I got a few errors..heres what it says. can you tell what i did wrong? reading a few posts and im still not sure.

Code: Select all

[FAILED] Samba mount failed with the following error output:                 │
│                                                                              │
│ mount error(22): Invalid argument                                            │
│ Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)                 │
│ mount error(2): No such file or directory                                    │
│ Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)                 │
│ mount error(2): No such file or directory                                    │
│ Retrying with upper case share name                                          │
│ mount error(6): No such device or address                                    │
│ Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

You tried to mount an existing share from another samba server on DietPi. But the share you specified is not existing.

However I thought you tried to setup samba on DietPi? If this was the case you choose wrong option. To setup samba server on DietPi, you would need to use dietpi-software and select Samba as file server option to have it installed.
kannz

Post by kannz »

uh samba was already installed I was trying to set up a external as a share. its set up the emmc as the share..but now I messed something up and nothing is being shared. also thats cool you can mount drives from other samba shares on a different system. der didnt know that. :P
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

You would need to manually edit smb.conf file, to create new shares or to manage existing once.
kannz

Post by kannz »

got it working the thing I messed up was not logging in as root and forgeting a number in the mnt point name. works good now. now I just need to figure out how to maybe encrypt it and then maybe install pihole. thanks a bunch. getting 22-24mb/s on samba. :)
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

PiHole could be simply installed using

Code: Select all

dietpi-software
For encryption we know about a working method for RPi and you could have a look to https://github.com/keks24/raspberry-pi- ... n-manually

Not sure on a C2 if it working similar.