Install old DietPi without auto-update? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
feardamhan

Re: Install old DietPi without auto-update?

Post by feardamhan »

Joulinar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 pm it can be simulated by using a movie library and create a demo file Gladiator (2000).mkv

I found a similar case on emby board. https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... as-access/
No real solution, the user switched to local HDD at the end
@Joulinar
I did see that thread in my troubleshooting, but they seemed to have more systemic issues in getting the drive mounted at all, let alone have emby use it as a target for scraping. I seem to be fine at a CIFS/OS level.

@MichaIng
I just tried removing the emby user and reinstalling emby-server. Made no difference.
feardamhan

Post by feardamhan »

MichaIng wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:54 pm I meant the names indeed, which are also valid values for those mount options. But it shouldn't play a role.
I read on another thread (actually the same thread @Joulinar found) that it needed to be ids rather than names in SMB connection, though I dont know how true that actually is.
Last edited by feardamhan on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

just to avoid a misunderstanding, DietPi for Raspberry Pi is a Raspberry OS. DietPi is a set of scripts on top of Raspberry OS, it is not an own OS
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
feardamhan

Post by feardamhan »

Thanks. Good to know.
feardamhan

Post by feardamhan »

In that case, for information, I used the dietpi.txt file to install the relevant software on first boot after I image the SD card. Could there be anything relevant in there? Should I share the dietpi.txt I used to build this machine?

The reason I ask....

If DietPi and vanilla Raspberry Pi OS (https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspi ... f-lite.zip) are effectively the same thing, and I have no issues with the vanilla install then the only variables are

1) the way in which DietPi scripts work on top of the OS
2) what I chose to do in the dietpi.txt
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

The DietPi scripts are not involved in running Emby, nor Samba. Only the mount options are created by dietpi-drive_manager but can be manually changed. dietpi.txt options as well do not effect anything related, at least nothing I can imagine in any way.

I now was able to replicate the issue on RPi when mounting the Samba share from the VM. The other way round, mounting the Samba share from RPi on the VM, works. So indeed it seems to be a kernel or architecture related issue. Interesting that the symptoms are so very similar to the .NET core issue.

When vanilla Raspberry Pi OS works, did you try it after upgrading all APT packages, especially the kernel?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

ok indeed on a Debian / DietPi VM this is working without issues. So it is Raspberry OS

@feardamhan
if you use Raspberry OS, did you update all packages before installation of Emby?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Lol, parallel posts with the same idea :lol:.

Another question: Where is the Samba server located, actually? Is it a Windows machine or another Linux? Worth to check the Samba server logs.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

I'm testing on Synology NAS, always same share where VM is working, RPi not
feardamhan

Post by feardamhan »

No. I didnt. I just pulled down the latest image, imaged it to the SD Card, booted and just installed cifs utils and emby on top. so there could well be updates that get pulled down for that that would cause the same issue.

this would make a lot of sense...given that dietpi does these updates automatically during install, and that an update caused me these issues in the first place.

I can try that tomorrow for sure, if you see value - thought perhaps it would prove nothing further than you have already proved.