How prepare the transition/upgrade from Buster to next version? Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
qed

Re: How prepare the transition/upgrade from Buster to next version?

Post by qed »

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm leaning towards a fresh install - i have several RPI's that I would like to convert.

Is there a list of s/w compatibility/issues between Buster and Bullseye with the dietpi-software catalogue I can look through? You mentioned PHP - this would be a concern for me, so I'd like to look to what degree..
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

There should be no issue on a fresh install.

For an upgrade some smaller task might be needed.

if you have time, you could read true a full blown journey Stretch => Buster => Bullseye 8)
https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/4511
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
mypi

Post by mypi »

I have given it a try on my raspberry pi 4

Started with a clone of my SD and made a backup in Dietpi including the userdata to an external drive.
Next i have run the commands on by on (as in this post, except for the mosquito .list as i do not use that). The only thing asked was if i would like to replace the Samba config file. The total proces was done in about an hour. Everything works fine for a day now, no issues found :D

By running $ cat /etc/os-release in command-line, result is PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"

Code: Select all

Software installed 
│    [ ] 1    Samba Client: access SMB/CIFS/Samba network shares                                 
│    [ ] 5    ALSA: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture                                            
│    [ ] 6    X.Org X Server: aka X11 - X Window System implementation                           
│    [ ] 7    FFmpeg: Audio & video codec libary and programs                                    
│    [ ] 17   Git: Clone and manage Git repositories locally                                     
│    [ ] 25   Xfce: lightweight desktop                                                          
│    [ ] 41   Emby: web interface media streaming server                                         
│    [ ] 50   Syncthing: backup and sync server with web interface                               
│    [ ] 67   Firefox: web browser for desktop                                                   
│    [ ] 73   Fail2Ban: prevents brute-force attacks with ip ban                                 
│    [ ] 96   Samba Server: Feature-rich SMB/CIFS server                                        
│    [ ] 103  DietPi-RAMlog: Makes /var/log a RAM disk, preserves file structure on reboot      
│    [ ] 104  Dropbear: Lightweight SSH server                                                  
│    [ ] 115  Webmin: web interface system management                                            
│    [ ] 117  PiVPN: openvpn/wireguard server install & management tool                          
│    [ ] 126  AdGuard Home: powerful network-wide ads & trackers blocking DNS server             
│    [ ] 149  NZBGet: nzb download manager                                                       
│    [ ] 170  UnRAR: unarchiver for .rar files                                                   
│    [ ] 172  WireGuard: an extremely simple yet fast and modern VPN                         
│    [ ] 174  GIMP: mspaint on steroids                                                          
│    [ ] 195  youtube-dl: Download videos from YouTube and other video sites
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

great.

For someone running NextCloud, Owncloud or other web server based apps, additional task might be needed.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
francisp

Post by francisp »

On my Pi 2B, I get these errors during apt update:

Code: Select all

Err:2 https://packages.sury.org/php bullseye InRelease
  The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG B188E2B695BD4743 DEB.SURY.ORG Automatic Signing Key <deb@sury.org>
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: https://packages.sury.org/php bullseye InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG B188E2B695BD4743 DEB.SURY.ORG Automatic Signing Key <deb@sury.org>
E: The repository 'https://packages.sury.org/php bullseye InRelease' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'ui/binary-armhf/Packages' as repository 'https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian bullseye InRelease' doesn't have the component 'ui' (component misspelt in sources.list?)

Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Did you update from Stretch directly or was it Buster before. You have an old PHP repository that was used on Stretch.
francisp

Post by francisp »

It is possible that system was upgraded from stretch. Anyway, I deleted it from sources.list, because dietpi-upgrade failed too after the upgrade to bullseye. After I deleted it, dietpi-upgrade worked again.
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

basically you could have fixed the repository https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/4219
But it's fine to have it removed as well.
mail2rst

Post by mail2rst »

Joulinar wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:38 pm thx for sharing. Don't forget to switch Mosquitto to Bullseye once they added the repository. You can watch the repo https://repo.mosquitto.org/debian/dists/
Hello Joulinar, on given mqtt link bullseye file available now. please guide me step by step to upgrade my mqtt broker also to bullseye system. please guide me what thing i have to edit to deactivate old model (buster) & upgrade to newer model(bullseye) without any interruption. thanks
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

you are looking for the Mosquitto upgrade only? Rest of system is already on Bullseye?