First Install Problem using Nanpi Neo2 image Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
kmpsproject

First Install Problem using Nanpi Neo2 image

Post by kmpsproject »

Hi All

howdy, i'm pretty new to SBC stuff so first time here.

I'm trying to install dietpi onto Factory NanoPi Neo2 - 512 Ram headless setup. I have download the most recent image for Neo2 and was getting no response from automated nor ping. I have edited the Dietpi.txt to use DHCP etc to no avail. I have flashed the card multiple time now and even restored the Ubuntu (Friendlyarm) which came back online instantly, so no hardware issue there. Can someone please help or guide how to troubleshoot headless installation

Any idea what can be wrong? Thanks!
Joulinar

Re: First Install Problem using Nanpi Neo2 image

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,
did you use Ethernet for your connection?

So you are using DHCP? Usually this is the default setting and there is no need to change or adjust anything in dietpi.txt.
Did you checked on your DHCP server /Router if an IP address was assigned?
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
kmpsproject

Post by kmpsproject »

tried both DHCP and static with no avail, how can i troubleshoot headless setup ? I can ping the ethernet even using static bit i can see transmit light lit...
kmpsproject

Post by kmpsproject »

i mean * cant ping
kmpsproject

Post by kmpsproject »

I downloaded the NanoPi Neo2 image, specifically "DietPi_NanoPiNEO2-ARMv8-Stretch"
product: https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?r ... uct_id=190

I have burned it now 5 times with Balena Etcher to a 16GB MicroSD and not once does my Neo2 actually boot up and connect to my network (via Ethernet). Friendlyarm os on the other hand works no problems, first time every time. I've waited up to 60 minutes but the Pi never seems to do anything.

I've checked my router and it never shows the Pi as a part of the network. the Ethernet port shows "active" green activity nothing else.

I don't have a micro HDMI nor a serial console to test with a screen to see what is happening.
But what I want to do is obviously have DietPi set itself up automatically and enable SSH the same as ubuntu would...

I have an official AC adapter for my Pi and the MicroSD has no problems with Friendlyarm ubutu. I have also checked and verified img checksum. Neither of these should be the problem.

Here's my dietpi file (have tried with static I.P. on/off):

#Modifications to /boot/* files, will not be saved when powered on.
#Please ensure you edit from the DietPi-RamDisk location /DietPi/*

#NB: This is intended for advanced users, unless you know what you are doing, do not edit this file. Please use the DietPi programs instead.
#NB: Do not remove uncommented lines, as the items are scraped by DietPi programs, on demand.

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# DietPi-Automation
# All settings below will be applied on the 1st boot of DietPi, ONCE.
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

##### Networking Options #####

# If both Ethernet and Wifi are enabled, Wifi will take priority and Ethernet will be disabled.
# 1=enabled
AUTO_SETUP_NET_ETHERNET_ENABLED=1
AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_ENABLED=0

# Enter your Wifi details below, if applicable (Case Sensitive).
AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_SSID=MySuperDooperWiFi
AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_KEY=0123456789
# available | WPA-PSK / WPA-EAP / NONE | WEP=No longer supported
AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_KEYMGR=WPA-PSK

# For WPA2 Enterprise uncomment the following entries and set accordingly
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_PROTO=RSN
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_PAIRWISE=CCMP
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_AUTH_ALG=OPEN
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_EAP=PEAP
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_IDENTITY=<userid>
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_PASSWORD=<userpassword>
#
# If your WPA2 Enterprise requries a certificate copy the cert to this /boot directory and enter the name on the following line
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_CERT=wpa2ent_cert.cer
# Uncomment either or both lines below and set accordingly for your WPA2 Enterprise needs.
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_PHASE1=
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_PHASE2=auth=MSCHAPV2

# Enter your Static Network details below, if applicable.
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_USESTATIC=0
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_STATIC_IP=192.168.254.200
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_STATIC_MASK=255.255.255.0
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_STATIC_GATEWAY=192.254.0.1
#AUTO_SETUP_NET_STATIC_DNS=8.8.8.8

# Hostname
AUTO_SETUP_NET_HOSTNAME=DIAG-A

# Force ethernet speeds
# NB: This is mainly aimed towards Pine A64's which may have a HW issue that causes unstable 1Gbit link.
# 0=automatic speed | 10 = 10mbit, 100 = 100mbit etc
AUTO_SETUP_NET_ETH_FORCE_SPEED=0

##### Misc Options #####

# Size of swapfile to generate (MB)
# 0=Disabled | 1=auto (2GB-RAM = size) | 2+=manual
AUTO_SETUP_SWAPFILE_SIZE=1
# Optional swapfile location
AUTO_SETUP_SWAPFILE_LOCATION=/var/swap

# Unmask (enable) systemd-logind service, which is masked by default on DietPi
AUTO_UNMASK_LOGIND=0

##### Software Automation Options #####

# Fully automate installation
# 1=Automated installation with no user inputs.
# It is HIGHLY recommended to also set CONFIG_BOOT_WAIT_FOR_NETWORK=2, to force infinite wait for network connection during boot, preventing no connection errors due to timeout.
AUTO_SETUP_AUTOMATED=1

# Global Password to be applied for the system
# Requires AUTO_SETUP_AUTOMATED=1
# Affects user "root" and "dietpi" login passwords, and, all software installed by dietpi-software, that requires a password
# eg: MySQL, Transmission, Deluge etc.
# WARN: Passwords with the any of the following characters are not supported: \"$
# WARN: Do NOT change this entry after 1st run setup of DietPi has been completed. It is always scraped by dietpi-software.
AUTO_SETUP_GLOBAL_PASSWORD=dietpi

# DietPi-Software to automatically install. | requires AUTO_SETUP_AUTOMATED=1
# For a list of software index's (ID's), run '/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-software list'
# No limit on number entries, add as many as you need and uncomment the line.
# DietPi will automatically install all pre-reqs (eg: ALSA/XSERVER for desktops etc)
# - Examples:
#AUTO_SETUP_INSTALL_SOFTWARE_ID=23 #will install Desktop LXDE
#AUTO_SETUP_INSTALL_SOFTWARE_ID=74 #will install LAMP webserver stack
#AUTO_SETUP_INSTALL_SOFTWARE_ID=44 #will install Bittorrent transmission

# DietPi-Software Choice System
# SSH Server Selection:
# 0=none
# -1=dropbear
# -2=opensshserver
AUTO_SETUP_SSH_SERVER_INDEX=-2

# File Server Selection:
# 0=none/manual
# -1=proftp
# -2=samba
AUTO_SETUP_FILE_SERVER_INDEX=0

# Logging Mode Selection:
# 0=none/manual
# -1=ramlog 1h clear
# -2=ramlog 1h save clear
# -3=logrotate + rsyslog
AUTO_SETUP_LOGGING_INDEX=-1
# RAMlog max tmpfs size (MB). 50MB should be fine for single use. 200MB+ for heavy webserver and access log use etc.
AUTO_SETUP_RAMLOG_MAXSIZE=50

# Webserver Preference Selection:
# NB: This will get ignored, if you have manually selected any WEBSERVER_Stack.
# 0=Apache2
# -1=Nginx
# -2=Lighttpd
AUTO_SETUP_WEB_SERVER_INDEX=-2

# DietPi-Autostart | Requires AUTO_SETUP_AUTOMATED=1
# After installation is completed, which program should the system boot to?
# 0=Console 7=Console+auto root login | 1=Kodi 2=Desktops (LXDE/MATE etc) 5=DietPi-Cloudshell 6=Uae4ARM (Fastboot) 8=Uae4ARM (standard boot) 9=dxx-rebirth
AUTO_SETUP_AUTOSTART_TARGET_INDEX=0

# Language/Regional settings | Requires AUTO_SETUP_AUTOMATED=1
# Timezone eg: Europe/London America/New_York | Full list (TZ*): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... time_zones
AUTO_SETUP_TIMEZONE=Europe/London
# Locale eg: en_GB.UTF-8 / en_US.UTF-8 etc. One entry ONLY.
AUTO_SETUP_LOCALE=en_GB.UTF-8
# Keyboard Layout eg: gb us de fr
AUTO_SETUP_KEYBOARD_LAYOUT=gb

# Custom Script (pre-networking and pre-DietPi install) | Runs before DietPi installation and networking
# Allows you to automatically execute a custom script before networking and DietPi installation is started
# Option 1 = Copy your script to /boot/Automation_Custom_PreScript.sh and it will be executed automatically.
# NB: Executed script log /var/tmp/dietpi/logs/dietpi-automation_custom_prescript.log

# Custom Script (post-networking and post-DietPi install) | Runs after DietPi installation is completed
# Allows you to automatically execute a custom script at the end of DietPi installation.
# Option 1 = Copy your script to /boot/Automation_Custom_Script.sh and it will be executed automatically.
# Option 2 = Host your script online, then use AUTO_SETUP_CUSTOM_SCRIPT_EXEC=http://myweb.com/myscript.sh , it will be downloaded and executed automatically. | 0=disabled
# NB: Executed script log /var/tmp/dietpi/logs/dietpi-automation_custom_script.log
AUTO_SETUP_CUSTOM_SCRIPT_EXEC=0

# D I E T - P I
# DietPi-Config settings.
#RPi Hdmi output (if 0, sets tvservice -o and framebuffer 16x 16y 8z on boot, headless)
CONFIG_HDMI_OUTPUT=1

#Cpu Governor | ondemand | powersave | performance | conservative
CONFIG_CPU_GOVERNOR=ondemand
CONFIG_CPU_USAGE_THROTTLE_UP=50

#CPU Frequency Limits
# NB: Intel CPU's use a percentage value (%) from 0-100 (eg: 55)
# NB: All other devices must use a specific MHz value (eg: 1600)
# Limit the MAX cpu frequency for all cores | Disabled=disabled
CONFIG_CPU_MAX_FREQ=Disabled
# Limit the MIN cpu frequency for all cores | Disabled=disabled
CONFIG_CPU_MIN_FREQ=Disabled

# Disable Intel based turbo/boost stepping. This flag should not be required, setting <100% MAX frequency should disable Turbo on Intel CPU's.
CONFIG_CPU_DISABLE_TURBO=0

#Min value 10000 microseconds (10ms)
CONFIG_CPU_ONDEMAND_SAMPLE_RATE=25000

#sampling rate * down factor / 1000 = Milliseconds (40 = 1000ms when sampling rate is 25000)
CONFIG_CPU_ONDEMAND_SAMPLE_DOWNFACTOR=80

#Proxy settings | System-wide proxy settings. Use dietpi-config > networking options to apply.
# NB: Do not modify, you must use dietpi-config to configure/set options
CONFIG_PROXY_ENABLED=0
CONFIG_PROXY_ADDRESS=MyProxyServer.com
CONFIG_PROXY_PORT=8080
CONFIG_PROXY_USERNAME=
CONFIG_PROXY_PASSWORD=

#Delay boot until network is established: 0=disabled | 1=10 second wait max (default) | 2=infinite wait
CONFIG_BOOT_WAIT_FOR_NETWORK=1

#DietPi check for updates (allows dietpi to check for updates on a daily basis and boot using a <1kb file download.)
CONFIG_CHECK_DIETPI_UPDATES=1

#NTPD Update Mode: 0=disabled | 1=boot only | 2=boot + daily | 3=boot + hourly | 4=Daemon + Drift
CONFIG_NTP_MODE=2

#WiFi country code. 2 character value (eg GB US DE JP): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2
CONFIG_WIFI_COUNTRY_CODE=GB

#Serial Console: Set to 1 if you require a serial console.
# NB: Serial console is always enabled by default for 1st run setup, then disabled afterwards, unless set below.
# NB: must be ENABLED for the following boards: Odroid XU4/HC1/HC2, RockPro64
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE_ENABLE=0

#Soundcard
CONFIG_SOUNDCARD=none

#LCD Panel addon
# NB: Do not modify, you must use dietpi-config to configure/set options
CONFIG_LCDPANEL=none

#Prefer IPversion (for: APT, wget) | auto (let system decide) / ipv4 (force) / ipv6 (prefer) | eg: force IPv4 with CONFIG_PREFER_IPVERSION=ipv4
CONFIG_PREFER_IPVERSION=ipv4

#Apt mirrors which are applied to /etc/apt/sources.list | Values here will also be applied during 1st run setup
# Raspbian = https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianMirrors
# Debian = https://www.debian.org/mirror/official#list
CONFIG_APT_RASPBIAN_MIRROR=http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian
CONFIG_APT_DEBIAN_MIRROR=https://deb.debian.org/debian/

#NTPD mirror, applied to /etc/ntp.conf
# For a full list, please see http://www.pool.ntp.org
# Please remove the initial interger and full stop from the value (removing 0.). eg: debian.pool.ntp.org
CONFIG_NTP_MIRROR=debian.pool.ntp.org

# D I E T - P I
# DietPi-Software settings.
#Enter your EmonCMS.org write API key here. It will be applied automatically during EmonPi/Hub installation.
# eg: SOFTWARE_EMONHUB_APIKEY=b4dfmk2o203mmxx93a
SOFTWARE_EMONHUB_APIKEY=

#VNC Server Options
SOFTWARE_VNCSERVER_WIDTH=1280
SOFTWARE_VNCSERVER_HEIGHT=720
SOFTWARE_VNCSERVER_DEPTH=16
SOFTWARE_VNCSERVER_DISPLAY_INDEX=1
SOFTWARE_VNCSERVER_SHARE_DESKTOP=0

#Optional username for ownCloud/Nextcloud admin account, default is 'admin'. Applied during installation.
SOFTWARE_OWNCLOUD_NEXTCLOUD_USERNAME=admin

#Optional data directory for ownCloud, default is '/mnt/dietpi_userdata/owncloud_data'. Applied during installation.
# This option is for advanced users. For full compatibility, please keep this options defaults, and, use dietpi-drive_manager to move the DietPi user data location.
SOFTWARE_OWNCLOUD_DATADIR=/mnt/dietpi_userdata/owncloud_data

#Optional data directory for Nextcloud, default is '/mnt/dietpi_userdata/nextcloud_data'. Applied during installation.
# This option is for advanced users. For full compatibility, please keep this options defaults, and, use dietpi-drive_manager to move the DietPi user data location.
SOFTWARE_NEXTCLOUD_DATADIR=/mnt/dietpi_userdata/nextcloud_data

#Wifi Hotspot
SOFTWARE_WIFI_HOTSPOT_SSID=DietPi-HotSpot
# minimum of 8 characters
SOFTWARE_WIFI_HOTSPOT_KEY=dietpihotspot
SOFTWARE_WIFI_HOTSPOT_CHANNEL=3

# D I E T - P I
# Dev settings
DEV_GITBRANCH=master
DEV_GITOWNER=Fourdee

Can some one please help with, i been told headless setup suppose to be pain free....
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,
by default DietPi will enable SSH as well as DHCP. So usually it will come up. But in your case something seems not working correctly. But it's nearly impossible to debug as you do not have access to the system nor have a screen attached. Therefore we don't know what's going on as we don't have any information.

But there might be another way how you to get DietPi running. You could install a normal Debian Destro. If everything is working fine you might be able to run DietPi Magic Script. This will transform the Debian Destro into DietPi.

https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issu ... -280771944
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
kmpsproject

Post by kmpsproject »

@Jouliner

Thansk for replying, i have order an UART serial console, in the mean time debian install might be one way forward. is there a specific way to setup debian on NanoPi or image readily availabel some where ?
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

maybe you can try Armbian for your Nanopi Neo 2

https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-neo-2/
kmpsproject

Post by kmpsproject »

i'll check it out ... thanks will post with results soon
kmpsproject

Post by kmpsproject »

** Bit late, but better then never ***

I got the Diepi working now, using console access. My issues is that for some reason the Automated installed failed to work with version https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/Die ... Stretch.7z but when re-download another version: DietPi_NanoPiNEO2-ARMv8-Buster. I had the entire install using console USB2TTL its working now