Support for Orange Pi PC Plus

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
bolet75

Support for Orange Pi PC Plus

Post by bolet75 »

Orange Pi PC image can't boot Orange Pi PC Plus: it halts very early in the boot process and reboots endlessly.
DietPi looks very promising. I would love to install it. How can I make it work on Orange Pi PC Plus? Is there something I can do? Or should I wait for a special image for my board?
Thanks.
Fourdee
Site Admin

Re: Support for Orange Pi PC Plus

Post by Fourdee »

bolet75 wrote:Orange Pi PC image can't boot Orange Pi PC Plus: it halts very early in the boot process and reboots endlessly.
DietPi looks very promising. I would love to install it. How can I make it work on Orange Pi PC Plus? Is there something I can do? Or should I wait for a special image for my board?
Thanks.
Try using this script.bin: http://dietpi.com/downloads/binaries/AR ... pcplus.bin and saving it to /boot/script.bin on SDcard.

Beyond that, unfortunately, we don't have access to this SBC. This means we are unable to support and create a DietPi image for it at this time.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
bolet75

Post by bolet75 »

Thanks for the tip.
I just tried with the script you provide (I understand it's extracted from Armbian, which actually runs well on my board).
The boot fails… but a little further (if it's useful I can take a picture of the screen before it reboots).

Error messages state that /sbin/init and /sbin/fsck are missing.
As I understand, Armbian does with only one ext4 partition which is mounted very early on /
bolet75

Post by bolet75 »

If you guide me through, I may be able to create the dietpi image for Orange Pi PC Plus myself.
I'm supposed to be a software engineer, but linux boot is not my specialty. Yet :-)
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

bolet75 wrote: As I understand, Armbian does with only one ext4 partition which is mounted very early on /
Yep, ARMbian by default is 1 partition image. All DietPi images (excluding VM) requires 2 partitions.

So you'll need to build the ARMbian image with 2 partitions, here are my notes using a cross compiler:

Code: Select all

ARMbian Builds

apt-get -y install git
git clone https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib --depth 1
cp lib/compile.sh .

#Modify compile.sh for
en_GB # Instead of en_US

#Modify lib/configuration.sh This is for creating 2 partitions.
BOOTSIZE="64" # This doesn't exist and needs to be added to the global vars (at the top)

#Run the compile, select full image, Jessie and server (not desktop)
./compile.sh

#After compile
- write image.
- Power on
The next stage is setting up the image for DietPi. We remove vast numbers of packages and optimize it further.
I can convert this stage to a script that you can run. Just let me know when you reach this point.
I'm supposed to be a software engineer, but linux boot is not my specialty. Yet :-)
Linux is like a big spiders web of "stuff", even I learn something every day. Nobody knows everything and we all start somewhere :).
I was a Windows IT/admin years before DietPi, with the only experience of Linux being "I can download and install Debian + LXDE, using their image". :D
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
johnvick
Legend

Post by johnvick »

Hi Fourdee,

You've done a great job with DietPi from my perspective as a home user. I was listening to the Pi Podcast today - three episodes back - I was disappointed to hear them talk of the Pi having two main OS and needing a third! They were referring to Raspian and Ubuntu Mate. Forgetting of course that DietPi was featured on an earlier episode - short memories.

John
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

johnvick wrote:I was disappointed to hear them talk of the Pi having two main OS and needing a third! They were referring to Raspian and Ubuntu Mate. Forgetting of course that DietPi was featured on an earlier episode - short memories.

John
Hi John,

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

PiPodcast, in all fairness, there are far too many RPi based distros/images to remember, check out this list of 46+: http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions.

The PiPodcast was a really good show, informative, insightful news and giving awareness to comminuty projects (like DietPi). Unfortunately, episode 28 was their last and they will be missed: https://twitter.com/ThePiPodcast/status ... 0247940096