Adafruit 3.5 tft

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
Warmbadger

Adafruit 3.5 tft

Post by Warmbadger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:27 am

Wanted to throw out a request for the adafruit 3.5 tft display. Spent my weekend trying to get it to run with a variety of install options but always came up empty.

Dietpi is very usable without the feature but it sure would be cool to have it all display on the tft.

Thanks

MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: Adafruit 3.5 tft

Post by MichaIng » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Did you try it with RPi or which device?

Warmbadger

Post by Warmbadger » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:25 pm

Ya I tried to get it going for the Raspberry Pi.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2097

jackspace

Post by jackspace » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 am

Add me to the list, in my case I use the 2.8" TFT from Adafruit with my Raspberry Pi 3B+. I managed to get through the Adafruit driver install by doing the following as root:
  • First I went through the adafruit-pitft.sh script and replaced references to "/home/pi" with "/home/dietpi"
  • Next I installed setuptools:

Code: Select all

sudo pip install -U setuptools
  • Then I installed python-dev:

sudo apt-get install python-dev
  • When I started running into issues during the PIP install of the driver, I was able to actually get through it with no problems by first installing these common dependencies:

sudo apt-get install libtiff5-dev libjpeg8-dev zlib1g-dev libfreetype6-dev liblcms2-dev libwebp-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev python-tk
This allowed me to get through the install script without any errors. However, when I reboot, I'm still not seeing anything on the TFT.

Any pointers on how to get this resolved without having to switch away from Dietpi? I really love this OS.

dpinewbie

Post by dpinewbie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:19 am

Hi I am having the same issue.

I have run the TFT install script the when I reboot, it is just not showing on the TFT screen. Screen is on but completely blank. Anyone figure this one out?