Web Based GUI

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
Edward

Web Based GUI

Post by Edward »

Basically just copy and repurpose the Allo GUI for Dietpi Config, software etc.

Seems pretty light weight and low on resources.
MichaIng
Site Admin

Re: Web Based GUI

Post by MichaIng »

Would be possible, but definitely optional. The performance/resource impact is only minor, if you already have a webserver stack up for other web apps, or if you use a totally different code base, e.g. NodeJS.

What I don't like about web based system configuration is, that you need to grant your webserver user full root and/or sudo permissions. In combination with other opened web services this is a significant security issue.
To make it secure, it would be needed to allow this only via special port (where you can set firewall rules) and password based login.
If I remember correctly Allo GUI has this included, perhaps we can use it as base.
But there is nothing similar secure as SSH only system/root access, AFAIK. Just need to be kept in mind.

We would need to consequently move the actual configuration steps from "dietpi-config" to "dietpi-set_software/hardware" or other separate scripts to call with settings arguments. Then port menu structure from "dietpi-config" into most likely PHP code. Quite something to do. Maybe needs an additional coder that likes to play around with this.
Edward

Re: Web Based GUI

Post by Edward »

Well I appreciate you even looking at and considering this...

I'm not a 'coder' but I can beta test or even do some minor code modding....ie help in any way possible.