Native PC for UEFI ver6.0 Error [SOLVED]

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
Edward
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 am

Native PC for UEFI ver6.0 Error [SOLVED]

Post by Edward »

I tried following the steps to download the image, install on a USB drive via Rufus to the letter.

However I get a unbootable USB drive.

Is there a step missing? I did see the image had Clonezilla in it, was that supposed to be used at some point?

BTW, I did edit the three files to include sda instead of the mmcblk0.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong?


Thank you in advance
Last edited by Edward on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
johnvick
Legend
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:53 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Native PC for UEFI (BETA) Error

Post by johnvick »

There is a new non-beta version of this out you should find it in the downloads:

http://dietpi.com/#download

What are you trying to install on?

John
Edward
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 am

Re: Native PC for UEFI (BETA) Error

Post by Edward »

Sorry for my misleading title.

Yes it was the new 6.0 version

The computer was a ASRock B85M-ITX LGA1150.
Edward
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 am

Re: Native PC for UEFI ver6.0 Error

Post by Edward »

These are the steps

Step 1: Download Rufus and DietPi
Download Rufus
Download the DietPi ISO image (with CloneZilla bundled)
Step 2: Use Rufus to write the ISO | @sal666 Clonezilla installer
Run Rufus
Under Partition scheme, select GPT partition scheme for UEFI
Select the DietPi .iso image
Click start to write the DietPi image
NB: This ISO is for EMMC devices (eg: Z83-II) However, you can edit the following files for non-EMMC devices:
Edit /EFI/boot/grub.cfg, /syslinux/isolinux.cfg and /syslinux/syslinux.cfg and replace mmcblk0 with the name of your target hard disk, eg sda sdb etc.
NOTE: I did this edit after I used Rufus to flash the USB drive then proceeded to step 3.
Step 3: Install DietPi image onto device
Power on the device with USB pen drive attached
User avatar
Fourdee
Site Admin
Posts: 2788
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Native PC for UEFI ver6.0 Error

Post by Fourdee »

Edward wrote:I tried following the steps to download the image, install on a USB drive via Rufus to the letter.

However I get a unbootable USB drive.

Is there a step missing? I did see the image had Clonezilla in it, was that supposed to be used at some point?

BTW, I did edit the three files to include sda instead of the mmcblk0.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong?


Thank you in advance
Hi,

I've attached option to install mmc or sda. Please extract to the USB DietPi installer, prior to running on SBC.

This is untested, please use only in testing environment.
mmc_sda.7z
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 217 times
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Edward
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 am

Re: Native PC for UEFI ver6.0 Error

Post by Edward »

Fourdee wrote:
Edward wrote:I tried following the steps to download the image, install on a USB drive via Rufus to the letter.

However I get a unbootable USB drive.

Is there a step missing? I did see the image had Clonezilla in it, was that supposed to be used at some point?

BTW, I did edit the three files to include sda instead of the mmcblk0.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong?


Thank you in advance
Hi,

I've attached option to install mmc or sda. Please extract to the USB DietPi installer, prior to running on SBC.

This is untested, please use only in testing environment.
mmc_sda.7z

I apologize greatly.

But when you say extract to the Dietpi installer do you mean extract the file into the DietPi_v6.0_NativePC-EFI-x86_64-Stretch_mmc.iso file, before I try to flash it to a USB? Or do I extract this into the iso 'after' I use the installer.

For example:
Rufus flash to USB, extract file into 'flashed' USB, then reboot.

I don't understand.
User avatar
Fourdee
Site Admin
Posts: 2788
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Native PC for UEFI ver6.0 Error

Post by Fourdee »

Edward wrote: I don't understand.
Not your fault, I failed to explain it fully :)
- Use Rufus to write the image as per the online doc
- Once the image write is completed, and before you plug USB into SBC, extract the contents of the attachment to the USB pen drive (overwrite existing files/folders).
- Eject, plug into SBC, power on.
- You'll need to ensure the target USB device is sda and the USB installer is sdb. This depends on the BIOS and ports used (No way to know, that I can think of). Therefore, If the install fails to unmount, rewrite the image using Rufus again and swap the USB drives over on SBC.
- Select Install DietPi sda.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Edward
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 am

Re: Native PC for UEFI ver6.0 Error

Post by Edward »

Fourdee wrote:
Edward wrote: I don't understand.
Not your fault, I failed to explain it fully :)
- Use Rufus to write the image as per the online doc
- Once the image write is completed, and before you plug USB into SBC, extract the contents of the attachment to the USB pen drive (overwrite existing files/folders).
- Eject, plug into SBC, power on.
- You'll need to ensure the target USB device is sda and the USB installer is sdb. This depends on the BIOS and ports used (No way to know, that I can think of). Therefore, If the install fails to unmount, rewrite the image using Rufus again and swap the USB drives over on SBC.
- Select Install DietPi sda.
Understood.

Thank you.... :D
Edward
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 am

Re: Native PC for UEFI ver6.0 Error

Post by Edward »

Its up and running.

Thanks a lot Fourdee!! :D

Interesting notes:
The SSD had to be larger than 31G or it refused to write. No problem I just used a bigger SSD and the install proceeded.
Also when using the Singxer F1 USB/COAX converter. I had to select usb:dac in order to stream out in 32Bit. After selecting usb-dac I had to update the asound.conf file to the correct card. Worked not problem.
****Otherwise it would only let me stream out in 16bit
User avatar
Fourdee
Site Admin
Posts: 2788
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Native PC for UEFI ver6.0 Error

Post by Fourdee »

Edward wrote:Its up and running.

Thanks a lot Fourdee!! :D

Interesting notes:
The SSD had to be larger than 31G or it refused to write. No problem I just used a bigger SSD and the install proceeded.
Also when using the Singxer F1 USB/COAX converter. I had to select usb:dac in order to stream out in 32Bit. After selecting usb-dac I had to update the asound.conf file to the correct card. Worked not problem.
****Otherwise it would only let me stream out in 16bit
Great to hear, thanks for letting us know.

I'll update our main image download with the new selections.

usb-dac detection requires the DAC to be attached (powered on), else DietPi will not find the device index. Was the unit attached, powered on?
The SSD had to be larger than 31G or it refused to write. No problem I just used a bigger SSD and the install proceeded.
Yep, we generated the image on a 32GB EMMC, clonezilla does have options to write to a smaller target device, but i've bad experiences with it in the past.
32GB+ device required for now :)
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
Post Reply