DietPi for newbie

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
Joulinar

Re: DietPi for newbie

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,
today was testing again on my old RPi3B+. OnBoard WiFi was working out of the box without any issues. I did the following:
  • download current image for RPi based on v6.28 https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/Die ... -Buster.7z
  • flashed to my 32GB SD card using balenaEtcher-Portable-1.5.70
  • after completion I adjusted dietpi.txt as well as dietpi-wifi.txt to have WiFi enabled
  • insert SD card into my RPi3B+ and plug power on
  • I was waiting 2-3 minutes and than I could see the DHCP request on my DHPC Server
  • connecting to the given IP address using SSH
  • run initial Setup without issues

Code: Select all

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 DietPi v6.28.0 : 15:11 - So 19.01.2020
 - Device model : RPi 3 Model B+ (armv7l)
 - Uptime : up 11 minutes
 - CPU temp : 49'C : 120'F (Optimal temperature)
 - LAN IP : 192.168.0.70 (wlan0)
 - Info Text : !!! DEMO RPi3 System !!!
So not sure what is wrong on your system. But maybe you can find out using the old RPi v6.25 image. I upload it to my privat cloud.

https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/BZiiU3Qg
Password: DietPi

vsayanam

Post by vsayanam »

This is in continuation of my previous mail.
I continued my work today in RPt 3 B+ with DietPi software. I am sorry that I did not notice the other day that wlan0 was getting local DHCP network instead of DHCP from mobile hot spot. It was very strange and never happened even once earlier.
Anyway, static IP is working now and firewall is not giving any problem. So far!!
I am installing LXDE now. ....
Got stuck in between.. The installation is asking too many questions. Shall try for some more time and then call it a day! It could be that local firewall is doing some problem! I cannot take it up with local authorities unless I can prove that the software is beneficial.
I have been working with Linux for many years. I have compiled LFS and BLFS many times. But installing DietPi software is not easy.

Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

somehow you post is confusing me. But let's check it 1 by 1.
I am sorry that I did not notice the other day that wlan0 was getting local DHCP network instead of DHCP from mobile hot spot.
Are you using the same WiFi SSID for your local network as well as for your mobile HotSpot? Usually both Network should use a different unique WiFi SSID. Otherwise it would be strange how your RPi can connect to you local network as the HotSpot WiFi SSID was specified in dietpi-wifi.txt before.
Anyway, static IP is working now
If you are connected to the correct HotSpot Network, using the unique WiFi SSID, it should not matter if the IP is given by DHCP or STATIC
firewall is not giving any problem
Do you have a firewall on your Mobile HotSpot?
The installation is asking too many questions
pls can you specify which questions are ask? Usually software installations using dietpi-software are quite unattended.
It could be that local firewall is doing some problem!
I thought you are connected to your Mobile HotSpot. Does it has any firewall?
But installing DietPi software is not easy.
Installing software on DietPi is one of the easiest and smoothest thinks on earth. DietPi scripts doing a lot of magics in the background and taken quite a lot of configurations steps. Imagine of you would need to do this all manuell.

Below the walkthrough for LXDE
  1. login to your DietPi system using SSH
  2. run dietpi-software
  3. search and select LXDE
  4. don't agree on the question for autostart
  5. hit install
  6. confirm to start installation
  7. confirm adjusting GPU settings
  8. reboot
  9. done

vsayanam

Post by vsayanam »

Thanks for the quick response.
Finally, I have managed to install LXDE and OpenSSH. Firefox ESR was also installed. YouTube is working all right with sound.
I shauld say it is a woderful software. Loads very quickly. Unfortunately, it was not an easy installation. But it is worth all the trouble.
I shall now try the second SD card and try to answer your queries. Thanks again! Very good work by your team!!

Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

maybe you can post some of the error messages you are facing. As already said, the installation of LXDE is running smoothly usually. As well OpenSSH can be easily installed using dietpi-software and change the SSH Server preference.

vsayanam

Post by vsayanam »

I tried all the 3 SD cards yesterday, 2 with ethernet and one with wi-fi (but ethernet cable was present but not functional). One important error message which appeared during all the three installations was that "Error getting Internet. Please try again" or something to that effect. When I pressed 'Enter' the installation ran smoothly. I think the error was getting into the mirror web site.
One more thing: I tried DietPi in the room with the help of a TV with HDMI input. The Firefox browser often crashed whenever we pressed FFW. Also, I needed to adjust screen size but I could not find any file to do it. Can we install palemoon web browser?
I shall do test some more and let you know. I remember that the previous RPi 3+ had its MAC address bound in the Server. But this RPi 3+ also worked without problem from firewall. I need to confirm this.
I need to confirm whether wi-fi takes precedence over ethernet, as you have mentioned in the document.
This dietpi-wifi.txt was not found in 2 out of 3 SD cards. I managed wi-fi settings in /DietPi/dietpi/func directory using dietpi-wifidb file.
I repeat: the loading is very fast. No doubt it is an excellent work by the team! However, I had to try many times to come out of scripts. It needs a few trials for the user as it is not intuitive.

vsayanam

Post by vsayanam »

This is in continuation of previous mail.
I continued the installation with wi-fi using mobile hot spot. Docker was installed fine. (Again, the error-handler wanted me to retry which I did). Then command 'dockerr pull jellyfin/jellyfin' installed jellyfin media server. (Earlier, I installed Emby server but I did not know how to use it. You may be aware that jellyfin is free version of emby server.) After some commands, jellyfin ran fine but 'localhost:8096' in a web browser could not play *.mkv or *.mp4 or *.avi files. The error message was:
'PlaybackErrorNoCompatibleStream'.
I then installed 'ffmpeg' and the localhost was able to play *.mkv file. Palemoon browser in the LAN also was able to play some files. More on this, later, if you are interested.
But the actual problem which you may like to know is this: I wanted to use LAN to test jellyfin. I switched off mobile hot spot. But I had to reconfigure ethernet card again so that it becomes operational. Without wi-fi or ethernet, the boot loader is searching for NTP, giving typical systemd delay 60 times. Very annoying! Moreover, I cannot run any command in DietPi. I then used a PC to reconfigure.
If your team can rectify this error, it will go a long way in popularising DietPi.

Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Without wi-fi or ethernet, the boot loader is searching for NTP, giving typical systemd delay 60 times
This is an expected behavior and can be changed using dietpi-config tool. There you can switch off NTP Sync completely if not needed.
I managed wi-fi settings in /DietPi/dietpi/func directory using dietpi-wifidb file
Still I don't understand why you are doing this directly in the config file. Ethernet as well as WiFi connections can be managed using dietpi-config tool.
The Firefox browser often crashed whenever we pressed FFW
You are free to install Chromium if FF is not working. pls keep in mind that DietPi is not providing any software by themselves. All software packages are downloaded from official Vendor sides.
his dietpi-wifi.txt was not found in 2 out of 3 SD cards
pls keep in mind, dietpi-wifi.txt is present directly after flashing the SD card only. As soon as you put your SD card into your RPi and power it on, the file is gone. Fell free to open the *.img file with an appropriate tool like 7zip. There you will see dietpi-wifi.txt being part of the image. If the file is not present right after flashing, something went wrong writing the SD card.
"Error getting Internet. Please try again" or something to that effect.
It would be good to know exact error messages or screen prints. Otherwise we are not able to help
Also, I needed to adjust screen size but I could not find any file to do it.
Display options can be changed using dietpi-config tool. Some other display settings can be done on /DietPi/config.txt
It needs a few trials for the user as it is not intuitive.
looks like you try to manage a lot of thinks on config files, while majority of settings can be done using dietpi tools offering user dialog/menue

vsayanam

Post by vsayanam »

Issue 2: (Solved partially)
In a new 32GB SD card, I installed MATE yesterday and I tried to install ffmpeg etc. today. The error messge I am getting is reproduced below.
=============================================================================
Command: G_AGI ffmpeg
Exit code: 100
DietPi version: v6.28.0 (MichaIng/master) | HW_MODEL:3 | HW_ARCH:2 | DISTRO:5
Image creator: DietPi Core Team
Pre-image: Raspbian Lite

file content:
Failed to fetch
p://mirror.ossplanet.net/raspbian/raspbian/pool/main/libv/libvdpau/libvdpau1_1.1
armhf.deb Undetermined Error [IP: 163.22.17.70 80]
Failed to fetch
p://mirror.ossplanet.net/raspbian/raspbian/pool/main/s/snappy/libsnappy1v5_1.1.7
hf.deb Undetermined Error [IP: 163.22.17.70 80]
Failed to fetch

Retry : Re-run the last command that failed
DietPi-Config : Edit network, APT/NTP mirror settings etc
Send report : Uploads bugreport containing system info to DietPi
=============================================================================

However, when I press 'Ok', the installation continues.

Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

looks like you have issues to get data from that source. But this is out of DietPi control as we don't provide the content of this source. Maybe there are issues at the software provider side.

running G_AGI ffmpeg is nothing else than standard debian command sudo apt-get install