Using PREP_SYSTEM_FOR_DIETPI Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
baz123

Using PREP_SYSTEM_FOR_DIETPI

Post by baz123 »

I have just used the Prep script on an Armbian Buster download for an old OrangePi Zero H2+. It is just brilliant.

My only thoughts are, it was really difficult to find the instructions; they were in an old issue on GitHub. I would like to see them in the main readme or at least the WiKi.

Secondly, at the end of the script, there is a message about creating an img file. Could some instructions be added on how to do that, please? I've got a second OrangePi and I'll need to do the whole sequence again :roll:.
Joulinar

Re: Using PREP_SYSTEM_FOR_DIETPI

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,
many thanks for your report.

Well the script did not reached a final stable status yet. Therefore, I guess, it's not official documented ;)

There are quite some tools on the internet allowing to clone SD cards like win32 disk imager. But maybe @MichaIng will share some inside how he is creating the official DietPi images.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

It will never be 100% stable since we need to do quite some system changes, depending on the pre-image and if it is very customized, some manual tinkering can be required. But I agree we need some updated manual on the wiki. Will do that when I find time.

For the image creation we use (from an external DietPi system or emulation/container host):

Code: Select all

bash -c "$(curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaIng/DietPi/dev/.meta/dietpi-imager)"
Select drive or image as source, depending on how you attached the one to create and NOT Clonezilla-based installer, since this only works for x86_64 target systems.
baz123

Post by baz123 »

MichaIng wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 am For the image creation we use (from an external DietPi system or emulation/container host):
Can I just check the process - Run the Prep script - shutdown that device - take out SDCard - mount SDCard on a different device - run that command pointing to the mounted SD Card.

Perhaps that could be added to the docs as well. :D
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

Jep that's how it can be done and yes I'll add this to the wiki entry about how to create DietPi images a generic way.
baz123

Post by baz123 »

Brilliant - many thanks for DietPi!!!