Pihole updates?

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
kaptain_zero

Pihole updates?

Post by kaptain_zero »

When I go to the web interface for pi-hole, which is running just fine, I'm informed that there is an update available for pi-hole AND for the web interface. I un-installed and re-installed pi-hole in Dietpi, but it still reports there are updates available. I thought Dietpi would pull the latest versions off github?

Clearly I'm clueless....

Regards

Christian
k-plan

Re: Pihole updates?

Post by k-plan »

Hi Christian,
kaptain_zero wrote:I'm informed that there is an update available for pi-hole AND for the web interface.
Yes, their is a new version v.1.4 of AdminLTE (Pi-Hole web interface) and the annoying popup will be fixed.
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/478

Yes, where is a brand new pi-hole version 2.9.
This is at the moment not in testing branch: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/blob/ ... NGELOG.txt

kaptain_zero wrote:I un-installed and re-installed pi-hole in Dietpi, but it still reports there are updates available.
Modded AdminLTE is in the testing branch (v.130), so I think, it will be released in a few days.

So, you can wait a few days, until DietPi v130 is released, or you can comment out in /var/www/pihole/header.php :
https://github.com/pi-hole/AdminLTE/blo ... er.php#L96

Code: Select all

<!-- Update alerts  -->
              <!-- DISABLE UPDATE WARNING
                  <div id="alPiholeUpdate" class="alert alert-info alert-dismissible fade in" role="alert" hidden>
                     <a class="alert-link" href="https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/releases">There's an update available for this Pi-hole!</a>
                     </div>
                        <div id="alWebUpdate" class="alert alert-info alert-dismissible fade in" role="alert" hidden>
                          <a class="alert-link" href="https://github.com/pi-hole/AdminLTE/releases">There's an update available for this Web Interface!</a>
                         </div>  
                -->
kaptain_zero wrote:I thought Dietpi would pull the latest versions off github?
No, Fourdee make a fork of pi-hole and AdminLTE, because we want to get it run for all DietPi supported devices and with any supported web server stack.
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal and Bitcoin.
k-plan

Post by k-plan »

k-plan wrote:Yes, where is a brand new pi-hole version 2.9.
This is at the moment not in dev branch.
Fixed! Now Pi-Hole v2.9 with AdminLTE v1.4 without update warning and Temp-readout-fix is check in testing branch.

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/commi ... t-18892474

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/blob/ ... NGELOG.txt

Thanks to Fourdee for his quick reaction! :D

After DietPi v130 is out, update your device to v130 and reboot. Backup your /etc/pihole/adlists.list if you needed.
You have to uninstall Pi-Hole via dietpi-software = > Uninstall
dietpi-software = &gt; Uninstall
dietpi-software = > Uninstall
After reinstall it via dietpi-software = > Software Optimized

The new Pi-Hole version has a new logo on web interface.
new pi-hole version
new pi-hole version
If you find our project or support useful, then we’d really appreciate it if you’d consider contributing to the project however you can.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Thanks for the heads up and explanation, I think I will wait for the next update and then do as described regarding removing and then installing Pi-hole. It's not that I'm afraid to get my hands dirty at the cl... its more of a "I'd have to get up off the sofa and drag myself down to the computer room in the basement, if it hangs" kind of thing.

A tip of the hat for the quick and detailed replies as well as FourDee's hard work.

Regards

Christian
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

kaptain_zero wrote: its more of a "I'd have to get up off the sofa and drag myself down to the computer room in the basement,
Rather you than me, i watched Conjuring 2 the other day, basement is now off limits lol.
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
uross

Post by uross »

I've updated to DietPi 130

Did uninstall and reinstall Pihole

Now getting an annoying message before seeing the pihole page:
pihole-dietpi130.jpeg
other than that pihole seems to be functional

any idea?
Fourdee
Site Admin

Post by Fourdee »

uross wrote:I've updated to DietPi 130

Did uninstall and reinstall Pihole

Now getting an annoying message before seeing the pihole page:
pihole-dietpi130.jpeg
other than that pihole seems to be functional

any idea?
Strange, we manually apply the version code to the JS sourcecode: https://github.com/Fourdee/AdminLTE/com ... 0f5b623a03In other words, this should not occur.

Whats the results of?:

cat /var/www/pihole/js/pihole/footer.js | grep Version
Donating is the easiest – you can use PayPal or become a DietPi patron.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I updated tonight and I have no issues... updated Dietpi, un-installed Pi Hole, reinstalled Pi Hole and added a couple of domains to the whitelist, edited /etc/dsnmask.conf so Pi Hole uses Opendns for DNS resolution and all appears as before, except for no more update reminders in the Pi Hole admin console.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 in case it matters. I did have issues using a Banana Pro (crashed a lot) but using Lubuntu doing rsync tasks has the Pro running for days on end with no issues... perhaps a recent update of Dietpi has fixed the problem?

Regards

Christian
k-plan

Post by k-plan »

Hi,

root@NeoPi:~# cat /var/www/pihole/js/pihole/footer.js | grep Version
var piholeVersion = "2.9";
var webVersion = "2.9";
    if(piholeVersion !== "vDev" && versionCompare(piholeVersion, json.tag_name.slice(1)) < 0) {
    if(webVersion !== "vDev" && versionCompare(webVersion, json.tag_name.slice(1)) < 0) {
if(piholeVersion !== "vDev" && versionCompare(piholeVersion, "v2.7") < 0)
pihole version adminLTE
pihole version adminLTE
160908-0002.gif (5.92 KiB) Viewed 6723 times

root@NeoPi:~# pihole -v
/usr/local/bin/pihole: Zeile 92: /opt/pihole/version.sh: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Hmm...
k-plan wrote:Yes, where is a new version v.1.4 of AdminLTE (Pi-Hole web interface) ...
uross

Post by uross »

my output of the footer.js (footer screenshot and result of pihole -v identical to the one of k-plan:

root@odroid:~# cat /var/www/pihole/js/pihole/footer.js | grep Version
var piholeVersion = "2.9";
var webVersion = "2.9";
    if(piholeVersion !== "vDev" && versionCompare(piholeVersion, json.tag_name.slice(1)) < 0) {
    if(webVersion !== "vDev" && versionCompare(webVersion, json.tag_name.slice(1)) < 0) {
if(piholeVersion !== "vDev" && versionCompare(piholeVersion, "v2.7") < 0)
root@odroid:~#