Everything you need to download and start your DietPi experience.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Give your Single-board computer some Lightweight justice. What you'll need:
- 4GB or greater Micro SD card.
- Internet Access (Ethernet or Wifi, required to complete the DietPi setup).
- Dedicated USB Drive is highly recommended (Allows DietPi-Software installations to utilize USB over SD).
Step 1 (Download DietPi Image):
Download - DietPi.com - Download the DietPi image for your board.
For experienced users who want to skip this guide and dig straight in.
Here are the login details:
username = root
password = dietpi
Write to SD card using Etcher:
- Unzip/extract the DietPi.7z image (ideally your desktop)
- Download and install Etcher
- Run Etcher
- Select the DietPi_v00.img image file
- Select the drive of your SD card
- Click Flash!
Write to SD card using Linux:
- Find the device (eg: /dev/sdb1) you need to write to by using blkid or mount.
- Double check that you have the correct dev path for your SD card (eg: /dev/sdb1).
- Unmount the SD card and all its partitions by using umount /dev/sdb?.
- Write the image using dd if=/path/to/DietPi_vXX.img of=/dev/sdb.
Pre-configure Wifi Details for DietPi
- Goto my computer, select the SD card and open it.
- Locate the file called dietpi.txt and open it with wordpad.
- Set Wifi_Enabled=1.
- Enter your ssid Wifi_SSID=MySSID and Wifi_KEY=MyWifiKey (both are case sensitive).
- Save the file.
- Plug the Wifi adapter into your device, before turning it on.
Turn on your device
- Plug the SD card into your device and turn it on.
- Wait for DietPi to complete the filesystem expansion (this will automatically reboot your device 2 times). Once completed, the login screen will appear.
Login to DietPi
- username = root
- password = dietpi
- DietPi also comes pre-installed with Dropbear SSH Server.
On first login, DietPi will automatically update. Once completed, press enter to reboot the system. You can log back in again to resume setup.
DietPi-Config is a feature rich configuration tool for your device:
- Set Overclocking Profiles.
- Setup advanced networking options (static IP / wifi).
- Mount network filesystem shares (Samba / FTP).
Click here for a complete list of DietPi-Config options.
Optional (Obtain IP Address):
Obtaining your IP address
- In all the DietPi guides, we use 192.168.0.100 as the IP address. When reading through the online documentation, and you see a URL link or IP address, you will need to use the IP address on your DietPi system.
Click here for details on how to obtain your IP address.
Step 5: Select Software to Install:
Now you can install the software you require, or follow one of the setup guides for popular/combo programs:
DietPi-Software Details for ALL installation options:
If you want a minimal image, simply select Go >> Start install from the menu. This will complete the 1st run setup of DietPi. Additional software can always be installed at a later date.
Additional Help / Setup Guides:
(Setup Guide) Accessing files on your DietPi system:
(Setup Guide) Obtain your IP address:
(Step by Step Guide) DietPi - Kodi + BitTorrent Combo:
(Step by Step Guide) DietPi - Hifi + DLNA Server Combo: