DietPi Sync Request Topic is solved

Suggestions for features and software you would like to see in DietPi, goes here.
midnightwatcher

Re: DietPi Sync Request

Post by midnightwatcher » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:46 am

Thank you! This is a very good improvement over the previous version imo. If I were to make any suggestions for future tweaks, I'd recommend the following:

* Simplify the summary to only present the user with the number of regular files to be transferred (with file size in MB or GB for simplicity) and deleted (with file size in MB or GB). Any additional details the user may require can be viewed in the log.

* If "Continue with real sync" is selected it would be nice to see the filename(s) being transferred (I recall this info was presented a few versions prior). Maybe have it as an On/Off setting in the DietPi-Sync Options?

* Include a Restore option from Target Location to Source Location in the event of a source drive failure or accidental deletion of data.

Keep up the great work!

MichaIng
Legend

Post by MichaIng » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:50 pm

@midnightwatcher
Thanks for your suggestions.

About the summary:
I guess some users would like to see more details, others less. Currently we simply paste the related lines from the command output itself without any special formatting. This needs to be in bytes, as this is required for the free space check we do based on it. So to keep it simply and as this is a question of personal taste, I will leave it as is.

About output verbosity:
Yeah in the past we showed the full output and skip the log, that now contains this. This was due to other user requests to not fill the screen with the detailed file-by-file log. I already thought the same that time that a verbose on/off switch would be nice, to either show the full command output directly and skip the log prompt instead, or have it as now. Will see if I can implement this as well, but most likely with v6.23 then since we want to release v6.22 soon.

About restore option
Currently restoring can be done simply by switching source and target dir. A larger plan already in the pipe is, to merge dietpi-backup and dietpi-sync into one script, since they basically do the same. This will include the merge of features both offer, including the restore option from dietpi-backup. I just have not yet a clue whether to name the new script dietpi-sync or dietpi-backup or another new name. It would be a general sync script that allows multiple sync slots, including a pre-defined one for system backups. So "sync" actually fit's better. On the other hand dietpi-backup is the more prominent/better known one currently and properly what most users seek for. At least an alias needs to stay ;).

midnightwatcher

Post by midnightwatcher » Thu May 16, 2019 7:11 am

Could the verbosity option be added to the 6.24 release?