Install synaptic packet manager Topic is solved

Having issues with your DietPi installation, or, found a bug? Post it here.
killakuh

Install synaptic packet manager

Post by killakuh »

Hi,

merry christmas everyone.

i was trying to install synaptic packet manager and every time I start synaptic I get the same error:

"E: Datei konnte nicht geöffnet werden. - open (2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
E: _cache->open() failed, please report." which means that some data may be not existing or some dir was not successfully created.

I tried dpkg reconfigure and flushing any apt cache, but there is no way to get synaptic work. Also, I don't know which repositorys to add for installing full mate desktop environment.

I please you to help me out a bit, to admit a working synaptic installation by the given repos.
Last edited by killakuh on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joulinar

Re: Install synaptic paket manager & mate-desktop essentials

Post by Joulinar »

Hi,

Merry Xmas to you as well.

For what reason you like to install synaptic? This is nothing else than a graphical interface for the apt package manager. Means, you already need a desktop to have it working.

As well dietpi-software offers a Mate desktop already https://dietpi.com/docs/software/desktop/#mate
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
killakuh

Post by killakuh »

Thank you for your fast response.

Of course I installed mate desktop, too. But the problem is, that even after doing followin' steps
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
there is any additional software installed, so i think there is a problem with the repository list.

actually my /etc/apt/sources.list contains just one line
deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib non-free
which i think is not enough to gather full dependencies in order to make a "normal" mate desktop enviroment work. Are you able to tell me, which repos I also need to add, to get synaptic (+ some other apps) installed correctly?

but, to answer your question: I just want to benefit with a gui based packet manager :-)
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Usually raspbian source list is fine for majority of applications.

Btw did you had a look into dietpi-software. It offers quite a lot of pre-configured software title.
Pls let us know if a solution is working. This could help others if they hit by similar situation. Your DietPi Team
killakuh

Post by killakuh »

thank you for you suggestions, I was looking for some good ssh GUIs and some other software for administration purposes on this machine.

i find it much easier to make work this way, any suggestion how to find the additional repos would help me out :)
Joulinar

Post by Joulinar »

Usually additional software source list are only needed if required by the specific software title.
killakuh

Post by killakuh »

thank you for your patience and cooperation with my request.

It works when you reactivate apt-cache in dietpi-config - 4 - apt-cache on Disk/RAM. Thought all the time i were using an outdated repo.

happy silvester! :D

P.S. damn, synaptics works so bad with the pi v3!