NFS retard needs help

Hi,

I feel really dumb…I’m trying to make my external HDD (2 pieces) available for KODI via NFS, and for the love of god, i cant figure out how to add multiple folders/drives. It defaults to a single one being visible/accessible in kodi, fx. /mnt/disk1, where i have series stored. So, if i want to add /mnt/disk2, where i have movies stored - how do i achieve that? I have tried to add the path to both drives in /etc/exports, as i found it suggested elsewhere…but to no awail…can someone explain to me, like if i was a total simpleton, how it works, when i want to share via NFS, and what files to edit? I have had i work before, but simply cant remember how i did it…

I def. have the NFS client up and running and have used the drive manager to mount the NFS network drive…but thats where the show stops…:confused:

Br.
Chris

Just for clarification, you have 2 device. One is acting as NFS server and the 2nd one is the NFS client (running Kodi)? Do you try to mount the NFS shares directly into Kodi or as share on the NFS client?

Hi, yes, i have dietpi raspberry pi, with 2 hdd in dockingstation and kodi running in my pc (for testing - normally it runs from a shield TV). what im trying to accomplish, is to share relevant folders on the dietpi, so theyre accessible from KODI…maybe i’ve totally misunderstood something about what runs what…and where…? :rofl: :thinking:

There is no need to use drive manager if DietPi is acting as server. The task of driver manager would be to mount the shar form a different devices and not the same one.

Not sure how Kodi is working, therefore probably a stupid question. Are you able to mount the NFS share directly in Kodi?

ok, so only nfs server is needed on the Pi, right?

The problem is, that i can tap in the IP in KODI, and it will show up fine, but i dont have any kontrol over which folders are shared. I managed to get it to share one of the HDD, but i cant figure out, how to make it “serve” the second one.

Right, your Pi acts as the server, Kodi as the client.

You can add folders to be shared via your NFS server on dietpi with:
sudo nano /etc/exports.d/dietpi.exports
after editing this file to your need, run sudo systemctl restart nfs-kernel-server
You can find some explanation about this here: https://dietpi.com/docs/software/file_servers/#nfs

I guess thy are already part of server config. Could you share your /etc/exports pls.

Guess the exports file is empty? does the reference to wanted shares go in here? and if so, whats the syntax?

# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
#               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
#
# Example for NFSv2 and NFSv3:
# /srv/homes       hostname1(rw,sync,no_subtree_check) hostname2(ro,sync,no_subtree_check)
#
# Example for NFSv4:
# /srv/nfs4        gss/krb5i(rw,sync,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check)
# /srv/nfs4/homes  gss/krb5i(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
#

I’ve tried to make it happen via dietpi.exports:

GNU nano 5.4                     /etc/exports.d/dietpi.exports
/mnt/disk1 *(rw,async,no_root_squash,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check)
/mnt/disk2 *(rw,async,no_root_squash,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check)

But the only content browsable in KODI, is disk1 content. I’m not even sure anymore, if i’m editing the right files… :rofl:

Thanks, but kinda tried it already, but maybe i’m doing it wrong? see my response to Joulinar :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try to remove on both lines the fsid=0 flag and restart NFS server. Try again on Kodi.

It freakin’ WORKS!!! thanks man!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Btw, what does the

fsid=0

do?

1 Like

fsid=0 is defining the root for all exported directories.

ok im going to highjack this thread, because have the exact same issue:
i want to share my media library (populated via Sonarr and radarr) via NFS Share to Kodi.

Starting Point:

Mount target: /mnt/0e3a3bb8-e8fe-4216-ba2c-178f467977c1                      │
│ Mount source: /dev/sdc1                                                      │
│ Filesystem:   ext4                                                           │
│ UUID:         0e3a3bb8-e8fe-4216-ba2c-178f467977c1                           │
│ Allocation:   Capacity: 4.5TiB | Used: 151.7GiB (3%)                         │
│ Status:       Drive is online and ready for use                              │
│ Read only:    Disabled                                                       │
│                                                                              │
│                  ●─ Mount Control ───────────────────────────────────────  ↑ │
│  Unmount         : Allows you to physically remove the drive               ▮ │
│                  ●─ Benchmark Options ───────────────────────────────────  ▒ │
│  Benchmark       : Test read and write speeds                              ▒ │
│                  ●─ Userdata & Swap options ─────────────────────────────  ▒ │
│  User data       : [ ] | Select to transfer DietPi user data to this driv  ▒ │
│  Swap file       : [ ] | Select to transfer swap file to this drive        ▒ │
│                  ●─ Advanced options ────────────────────────────────────  ▒ │
│  Read Only       : [ ] | Select to toggle RW/RO modes                      ▒ │
│  Reserved blocks : [0 MiB] | Space reserved for root user                  ↓ │
│                                                                              │
│                     <Ok>                         <Back>                      │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘```

My HDD is mounted and the media library is in

/mnt/0e3a3bb8-e8fe-4216-ba2c-178f467977c1/media/

I obviously installed nfs server via dietpi software.
in services I see that’s its active and running.

sudo nano /etc/exports.d/dietpi.exports

did that and added the following:

GNU nano 5.4                     /etc/exports.d/dietpi.exports
/mnt/0e3a3bb8-e8fe-4216-ba2c-178f467977c1 *(rw,async,no_root_squash,crossmnt,no_subtree_check)
/mnt/dietpi_userdata *(rw,async,no_root_squash,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check)

went out of the file and saved it (ctrl + x and confirm save)

and did:

sudo systemctl restart nfs-kernel-server

When then going to Kodi, and trying to find my NFS Share, it does not detect anything.
manual adding the share via: IP_ADDRESS:2049 also does not find anything.

what am I doing wrong?

@jourlinar you helped me yesterday super much, so I hope you can enlighten me

@cdsw I tried to replicate your setup on my demo environment, but for me this is working well.

Could you check following on NFS server side. It should display your NFS exports.

showmount -e

Do you have access to Kodi system? Are you able to execute anything on the system? If yes, try following

showmount -e <ip.of.your.server>

Kodi runs on a Nvidia shield tv. So I will not be able to Terminal there.

But I will try the nfs server side command and post here tomorrow.

Out of interest. Did kodi detect your nfs share automatically or did you need to configure a manual nfs connection? If manual, can you share a screenshot how to fill out the boxes on Kodi correctly?

Maybe I’m just to dumb to add the right credentials in Kodi

I tested to export and mount the NFS share. Did not test with Kodi directly.

ok tested with Kodi and it’s working. You just need to add the NFS server manually as it is not detected automatically.

Can you screenshot what you fill out in kodi in the manual nfs share add?

Maybe I’m doing there something wrong?

In another forum I read that ‚insecure‘ is missing in the exports file.

I’m at work but might check after work

Gonna check in few mins.

Stay tuned