Upgrade to Bullseye from Buster DietPi - PI Topic is solved

Have some feedback, questions, suggestions, or just fancy a chat? Pop it in here.
morphious

Upgrade to Bullseye from Buster DietPi - PI

Post by morphious »

Hello community, just noticed PI as now released Bullseye OS.

Currently I'm on Buster - v 7.7.3 of DietPi

Is there a planned upgrade or new version based on Bullseye forthcoming?
Salty Wagyu

Re: Upgrade to Bullseye from Buster DietPi - PI

Post by Salty Wagyu »

DietPi is already on Bullseye, but if you're expecting that free 300Mhz boost for the recently new c0 stepping of the Raspberry Pi 4B then I think it will need to be added in by DietPi devs with a small patch, or next update.

I've not been brave enough to manually change my arm_freq= to 1800 in config.txt though. Plus I'm not sure if it will work, I've seen others use "arm_boost=1" instead. Has anyone else successfully done it?

How to find out if you have new c0 stepping without taking off your heatsink (doesn't require sudo):

Code: Select all

od -An -tx1 /proc/device-tree/emmc2bus/dma-ranges
If the second line begins with 40, you have the older B0 CPU. If it begins with fc, you have the newer C0 CPU (source:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/is ... -680035201)
morphious

Post by morphious »

That is what I was hoping for. But seems I have an older model, even though it is one with 8GB

I did manage to get the system upgraded tough for anyone else looking for the information on how to upgrade: https://dietpi.com/blog/?p=811
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

DietPi v7.8 will update the Raspberry Pi 4 and 400 overclocking profiles: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/blob ... 3595-L3639

I also recognised the arm_boost=1 from the new Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye image, being present by default for RPi 4 models. Not sure which frequencies it applies. Should be safe to apply (commenting all other "_freq" settings) and check the result via cpu.
Salty Wagyu

Post by Salty Wagyu »

MichaIng wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:04 pm DietPi v7.8 will update the Raspberry Pi 4 and 400 overclocking profiles: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/blob ... 3595-L3639

I also recognised the arm_boost=1 from the new Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye image, being present by default for RPi 4 models. Not sure which frequencies it applies. Should be safe to apply (commenting all other "_freq" settings) and check the result via cpu.
I decided to wait until the update was released, so I upgraded to 7.8 today and rebooted, but did not see the new 1800 MHz default profile for my RPi 4B (dietpi-config still shows 1500 MHz for default). I uncommented the arm_freq line and added arm_boost=1 and rebooted again, cpu command now shows a max frequency of 1800 MHz

If it matters, I also had a reboot pending for applying the safe profile a couple days ago, but instead of rebooting I went ahead with dietpi-update to 7.8 instead. Could that have messed with the pending config.txt changes?
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

On RPi 4, 1500 MHz is the correct default. Only on RPi 400 the default is 1800 MHz. This seems to be stable on RPi 4 as well, though, and it is hence among others an overclocking profile that can be found in dietpi-config > Performance Options > Overckocking.

What does vcgencmd measure_volts show in your case?

If arm_boost=1 enables the 1800 Mhz only, the I prefer use the generic RPi overclocking method to set CPU, GPU and RAM frequencies + voltage individually to a stable and reasonable combination.
Salty Wagyu

Post by Salty Wagyu »

MichaIng wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:54 pmWhat does vcgencmd measure_volts show in your case?
it shows volt=0.8600V

Is there a way to view the current gpu and ram frequencies?
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

vcgencmd measure_clock core
for the GPU core, for SDRAM frequencies there is sadly no command I'm aware of.
Salty Wagyu

Post by Salty Wagyu »

for the gpu core: frequency(1)=374269056

I found a benchmark ss I took when I bought the pi last month, it does seem to have had improvements to memory frequencies too (edit: 2nd screenshot is with arm_boost):
putty_L60T4PHYKo_proc.jpg
WindowsTerminal_y5wd0E0Ms5_proc.jpg
MichaIng
Site Admin

Post by MichaIng »

For the GPU core clock, could you run this command again after a stress test on another SSH screen? All frequencies are scaled together with the CPU, hence the frequency you saw was likely in a near idle mode.

Probably all maximum frequencies can also be seen via:

vcgencmd get_config int
Ah, about the RAM frequency: I totally forgot that it is hardcoded on RPi 4 to 3200 MHz, so the changed RAM I/O is then a result of increased CPU and GPU speed. GPU core has also a minor impact on RAM speed as it drives the memory bus, AFAIK.