qBittorrent Version shipping with DietPi

Hello,

I noticed that the qBittorrent version that ships with latest version of DietPi is quite old; 3.3.7 is from Sept 2016. This 4.x series also has great improvements to the webUI component (for headless use).

Is there any way to update the qBittorrent version?

I previously tried getting a package from the beta release of debian (raspbian?) and I got qBittorrent 4.x running, but it seems that installing a package from the “unstable” stream messes with DietPi’s stability. I started getting random errors and the software installation tool stopped working.

I have no issues running multiple services (NAS, media server, torrent client) in parallel if I stick with application versions provided (I did notice that plex gets updated via apt-get).

Perhaps there is a more elegant way to get qBittorrent 4.x running on the latest version of DietPi?

Hi,

Currently qbittorrent is installed via APT: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/qbittorrent-nox

To upgrade to version 4.x, you’ll either need to:

Thanks for the quick response.

Installing the 4.x package from buster (that’s what I referred to when I mentioned the “unstable stream”) messes up my system stability. Tools such as DietPi installer stop working. I would rather keep everything stable and as close to default as possible.

If I complied 4.x for my system manually, would that version be “compatible” with built-in system utilities? I.e. Could I install other packages that can be managed by DietPi? How will installing all the compilation dependencies impact my system? Would it be best to uninstall the 3.x version and manage my 4.x “port” on an ad-hoc basis?

Still learning linux. :smiley:

Btw, thanks for your work on DietPi. I initially started with Raspbian Lite, but I like DietPi’s approach a lot more. A few well polished utilities make the Linux experience so much better.

Did you ever figure this out? I would like a newer version too.

cillium hrvstr
I would recommend indeed a custom build instead of pulling the packages from Buster repo.

Uninstall qBittorrent first via dietpi-software.
Then follow this great guide from one of our users: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/wiki/Compiling-qBittorrent-nox-4.x-on-DietPi-or-Raspbian-(Debian-9.0)-for-ARM-devices

After this is done, indeed you could remove the build tools:

apt purge build-essential automake libboost-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-chrono-dev libboost-random-dev libssl-dev libgeoip-dev qtbase5-dev qttools5-dev-tools libqt5svg5-dev zlib1g-dev
apt --purge autoremove

Or you leave these in place, so you are able to easily update qBittorrent according to the end of the guide.

Generally software installed manually via APT or custom builds do not interfere with DietPi software or system. DietPi is still a purified Debian with a custom setting and tool set. Only take care when mixing dietpi-software installs with the same software title installed from other sources. But that is the case with every piece of software installed via any method: Never mix two install methods :wink:.

I am currently using Buster repo and its stable. I tried compiling, after two to three hours on a opi zero I encountered an error and just gave up and updated to Buster. Seems to be working just fine.

arifur
Jep meanwhile Buster became quite stable.

Yeah, possibly RAM on OPi Zero is not sufficient (assure that you have a swap file so that at least 2G are available) and limited CPU power has large impact on compilation speed in general. This is one reason why I am not keen to install software in DietPi-Software via in-place compilation in general, at least if no well maintained installer is available :wink:.

Hi!

I am waiting for an update to Buster for my Raspberry Pi 3b+. The primary reason for this is that it’s required (as far as I understand) for a newer version of Qbittorrent which features a (much) better Webui. (https://packages.debian.org/buster/qbittorrent)

Will Dietpi update itselt from Stretch to Buster via Dietpi-update soon? Or perhaps via apt-get update && apt-get upgrade?

Thank you so much for developing and maintaining Dietpi! It has changed my entire infrastructure at home. I threw out all energy consuming servers which took up a lot of space and replaced them with Raspberries and it’s working great thanks to you!

EDIT: I ended up re-flashing to the new Buster image. Qbittorrent was installed with latest version available and it’s working great!

aftensleuk
I just made the Buster-based image the default download for RPi yesterday. But dietpi-update will never do distro upgrades. It is simply too risky, many things can fail, so this is out of our support and btw out of support on every Debian derivative :wink:.

But after doing at best a full SDcard clone, you can do it yourself:

sed -i 's/stretch/buster/' /etc/apt/sources.list
sed -i 's/stretch/buster/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dietpi-php.list
rm -f /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/dietpi-php.gpg
rm -f /etc/apt/preferences.d/dietpi-{php,openssl,xrdp}
/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_software apt-cache clean
apt update
apt upgrade
apt full-upgrade
apt autopurge
/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-obtain_hw_model
. /boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-globals

Thanks! Good to know. I did a Google search which resulted in exactly what you said; it’s too risky albeit possible. Since I run my RP4:s 24/7 I want them to be 100% rock stable, so re-flashing was the only alternative. :sunglasses: